12th International Slipper Orchid Symposium - Altamonte Springs, FL

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teresa Hill spoke on her standard complex breeding program
Sam Tsui gave us a run down on the various breeding lines of leucochilum in Thailand, Japan and the US.
Dr Harold Koopowitz spoke on the history of Paph growing and breeding.

Ohh, it sounds very interesting!
Is anyone of you able to tell us more about their lectures? Are there any records to share with us? That would be great!

The Symposium was great, interesting speakers and lots of friendly folks to talk to. I was pleased to meet Scott, Ross, Bob and Jim T. from Slippertalk and especially David who gave me lifts out to Krull-Smith's. (David - hope you didn't have any trouble with Ida; saw that she turned and headed north after all). I wasn't really good about taking pictures of people either, but I did get a bunch at Frank Smith's on Sunday. I think Bob's in one of them. :)

And speaking of Krull-Smith, OMG. It was worth the trip just to get a boo inside Frank Smith's personal greenhouses to see the stud paphiopedilums. I have never seen orchid plants that large or with so many growths or spikes. Holy cow. Frank was a gracious host and I thought it was very brave of him to let a group of vultures like us go through his greenhouses.

Pictures later ....

Eric - we all missed you and people asked whether you were going to be there. Hope you can attend next year.

On another note - I am sorry I wasn't able to take any photos. I didn't realize I would be quite as busy as I was during the event. If anyone has any photos they would be willing to share, we would love to put them on the symposium website. Please let us know by emailing [email protected] or just forward the photos to that address if you prefer.

This is Phrag. Fritz Schomburg (kovachii x besseae). HP Norton was carrying it around on Friday night and was also selling good-sized seedlings of it. I was so sad that I couldn't buy one. :sob:

I took a couple of close ups but they are crappy. Too bad. The flower is huge.

IMG_3511.jpg

Julie and I just got back from Orlando this evening. I will try to post pictures of Sunday at Frank's tomorrow. I was too busy potting up a compot of Paph Frank Smith (Norito Hasegawa 'Jim Krull' x rothschildianum 'Raven') from Ursa Orchids to post pictures now.

With the possible venue change for next year, Julie and I will probably be staying at the hotel, instead of our son's house. That will give us more time to talk with people on Friday night.

Kudos to Frank and Scott for putting on an excellent Symposium. Where else do you get to meet and talk to Frank Smith, Harold Koopowitz, Teresa Hill, Sam Tsui, Hadley Cash, H.P. Norton, Ryan Kowalczyk, and a plethora of incredible Paph growers?

Good answer Eric! I totally agree. I think everone who loves paphs should come here. There is an awesome amount of info. Still want to hear more about the symposium.The Phrag looks great!! More, guys, please! Pictures would be nice.(Hard to believe I only joined last week with how pushy I am) Must be the paph addict in me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back