Zootrophion hypodiscus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This genus of orchids is different for me; Duane Erdmann came to speak at our club last year, and he had some pleurothallid-related orchids, and had different divisions of things for sale. I bought one, and he gave me another as a gift (labeled as zoo. sp (species)). Last week I saw what I thought was a small bud, but thought it was burnt or blasting, because the back of the flower was yellowish and the tip was black-ish. I looked up the flower on google, and found some examples of this species that had yellow and then very dark markings on it, and as the bud grew larger, it looked like it was not blasting but had normal markings. I wasn't sure if the flower would be completely open when I would be around, but the other day I checked and it had opened! For this genus, (zootrophion), at least most if not all of them look like a crooked beak of a bird, but the bud only opens on the lateral sides of the flower. The pollinating insect has to crawl in the side of the flower through either of two openings, and then wander out through the other side (I'm assuming).

zoohypodiscus112a.JPG

picture showing some of lower flower markings and shape

zoohypodiscus112b.JPG

side view showing opening

zoohypodiscus112c.JPG

view from front/top

zoohypodiscus112d.JPG

whole plant view

these plants like to have moisture, but the media should be airy and not waterlogged. I don't know what the media is as duane had potted these. I had thought that they were supposed to be warmer, but I downloaded a culture sheet which seems to indicate that it liked to be slightly cool most of the time. it's been in my room-temp to slightly warmer at times conditions, and the roots around mid-stem which is normal for this species, have dried up a bit, so I may need to put it in an aquarium or just a little more regular moisture. I believe duane told me that many zootrophions or at least this species can be propagated by leaf cuttings. they are pretty interesting flowers, and if I haven't killed the two I have, must be a little tolerant of odd culture :)

This genus has very cool odd flowers.

I'm glad you kept this one going. I managed to burn out the two I had before coming up with the K lite program.

My surviving pleuros have really started to shape up.

I think I remember reading in one of the culture sheets that these don't really like a lot of fertilizer, and since I was being pretty light with the feed that may have helped them out

Latest posts

Back