Zeer pot and growing Cyp hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just ref. here by another member....... very interesting!!!!! Put to respond to mormodes..... I would think the more water you could keep in-between the longer it will cool for. I'll have to try this!!!

In theory, If you have one clay pot with water on the inside would cool too....NO?

I was just ref. here by another member....... very interesting!!!!! Put to respond to mormodes..... I would think the more water you could keep in-between the longer it will cool for. I'll have to try this!!!

if you wanted to make a 'fan-pad' zeer pot, you could set something up so that water would drip down into the stuff between the two pots so that it would cool for quite a long time without checking all the time. also if it got real hot you could put a few ice cubes into the stuff between or really cold water

Can anyone post some pics of their zeer pot system?

On a separate note, here's my pic of the new growths. I thought the cyps died in the heat when I was on travel. Glad to see they're fairly tough survivors. It's either Gisela or Ula Silkens (I'm guessing the latter; the other one got rot from over-watering when it was 95+ in May).

Attachments

• rsz_p1010023.jpg
    rsz_p1010023.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 12
Email him to make sure he brings some. I would preorder actually. I haven't seen him just bring them to any shows unless there was a request.

I already contacted him. I'll be getting a pubescens, as it's only $30, plus some "ladies tresses" and calopogon for the bog garden; and some media. I was tempted by the japonica, but at $95, I would feel terrible if it died.

I noticed in another thread:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=355050#post355050

That someone was growing their cyps in "clay balls" (Hydroton or Hydroleca, or terra-lite) . I've been using a mixture of Soil Perfector, Turface, and coarse perlite. I use clay balls for my dendrobiums (semi-hydroponic). Anyone have advice on using "clay balls" vs other inert media? Last summer in Washington DC, it got really hot (over 90 F for weeks); I'm hoping the "clay balls" retain moisture better and help with evaporative cooling. Anyone have experience with clay balls in zone 7/8?

Thanks for the link. I like the wicking tape idea.
I wonder if semi-hydoponic would work for cyps. It works great for my dendrobiums.

I know that Ron Burch has grown some of his very close to semi-hydro, though without those clay balls. If you go that route then definitely no organics in the mix at all or you're looking for trouble.

Here is a method I've used with modest success in a climate far warmer on average than the D.C. area - more like Charleston, SC in these parts.

Pot in Pot Cooler

Thanks for the articles, very informative.
I've grown some so called easy Cyp hybrids for a few years with reasonable success. I have been using a mix of perlite and cocopeat which seems to be working well for these plants but I have recently bought some C tibeticum flasks. Do you think a cocopeat/perlite mix would be suitable for tibeticum or would you sugest that I try and find some of the other inorganic ingredients mentioned in some of the literature?

Regards and thanks, Mick

Thanks for the articles, very informative.
I've grown some so called easy Cyp hybrids for a few years with reasonable success. I have been using a mix of perlite and cocopeat which seems to be working well for these plants but I have recently bought some C tibeticum flasks. Do you think a cocopeat/perlite mix would be suitable for tibeticum or would you sugest that I try and find some of the other inorganic ingredients mentioned in some of the literature?

Regards and thanks, Mick

Hey Mick, interesting that you can keep Cyp hybrids alive in your climate - I thought I was pushing them here in southern Japan. I've not tried cocopeat before, so a can't advise on its use. As long as it doesn't break down quickly and you repot often, then it may be fine. C. tibeticum hates excess moisture while dormant and it also requires at least 4 months of dormancy to grow well. It likely will be more challenging to grow than any of commonly available hybrids, especially deflasked seedlings.

I'm guessing you bought your flasks from Dr. Perner?

Hey Mick, interesting that you can keep Cyp hybrids alive in your climate - I thought I was pushing them here in southern Japan. I've not tried cocopeat before, so a can't advise on its use. As long as it doesn't break down quickly and you repot often, then it may be fine. C. tibeticum hates excess moisture while dormant and it also requires at least 4 months of dormancy to grow well. It likely will be more challenging to grow than any of commonly available hybrids, especially deflasked seedlings.

I'm guessing you bought your flasks from Dr. Perner?

Thanks Tom,

I don't have the plants in Vietnam, they're in South Australia, an equally challenging environment given that its the driest state in the driest continent on earth. I doubt I'd be able to grow most Cyps in VN without refrigerated air conditioning. The dry heat in Sth Australia means that evaporative cooling allows for huge drops in temp where its not possible in most of VN due to air being near saturated at the hottest time of year. My cool house seldom if ever gets above 28C. I use a zeer type potting arrangement and plants spend about 4 months in the fridge. I'm not confident about raising the C tibeticum but I'll give it a go. I'll try and photo document the process.

The flasks are from Dr. Perner

Regards and thanks, Mick

Back