Zeer pot and growing Cyp hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations-
I'm new to the forum, and as best as I could, I couldn't find a thread on this subject, so I thought I would start this one.
I'm interested in growing cypripedium hybrids. With the hot weather we had in DC, my cyps could have used a "zeer pot" (especially before they were knocked over by my neighbor's cat while I was on vacation, and the person watering the garden failed to notice, so it dried up) (see gardensatposthill.com/website/Cypripedium%20overview.htm). Does anyone on the forum use zeer pots for growing cyps? If so, what would be the best sand to use? Is play sand ok, or should I use something that has less salt, like pool sand?
Also would it be better if each cyp that I'm growing in a pot have its own zeer pot, or could I get a big clay pot and put 3 cyps in it?
The varieties I'll be growing are Gisela, Ulla Silkens, and Lothar Pinkepank.
Thanks!

Welcome from NYC! Never used a zeer pot but if yoiu could put them together then why not. BTW, DC is kind of south for a lot of Cyps, you should see if you can get an acaule and kentuckiense types.

Welcome to the Forum Linus and what is a Zeer pot? Also, the last Orchid Digest magazine has a great section on Cyps hybrids, if you don't know already.

I have been using these for a long time, but never knew they had a name! Thanks.

I'm sorry -- I could not find any reference to Zeer pots on that website.

it was down the page under 'In Pots'

In Pots

Pot Culture of Mature Cypripedium

Pots for Warm Climates

Potted Cypripedium may be kept in situations in which temperatures are often high in the summer by growing them in pots with the ability to be cooled by evaporation. There are several ways in which to do this. A very simple method is based on the "zeer pot" method of placing one pot inside another in such a way that the outer pot is kept moist so that evaporation from it causes evaporative cooling of the inner pot.

I have been using these for a long time, but never knew they had a name! Thanks.

Hi Brian-
Can you post some pics? What type of sand do you use? Pool sand? Do you use a terracotta pot? If so, how do you keep the water from draining out at the bottom (just plug the hole)? Do you add an overflow hole so if there is heavy rain, the cyp pot doesn't flood?
Thanks!
Linus

I don't tend to plug any holes, but just water extensively. I use two clay pots, or a clay pot inside of a plastic pot, or (rarely) a plastic pot in a clay pot. I don't grow Cyps in tehm, but other plants that require cooler consitions and especially cooler roots, like besseae hybrids. I tend to pack sphagnum moss in between the pots, and don't use sand.

Quick update. The pot that I thought had dead plants from being knocked over, there are tiny leaf buds at the surface. I'll try to remember to post pics later. I guess maybe the vegetation just died back during the extreme heat (while I was on vacation), but the roots are fine for next year (I hope).

I'm excited that Roberts Flowers (www.orchidmix.com/) will be at the National Capital Orchid Society show Columbus day weekend (http://www.ncos.us/ncos/fallshow.htm). Hopefully he'll have some easy cyps to grown, and some advice on my zeer pot question.

I don't tend to plug any holes, but just water extensively. I use two clay pots, or a clay pot inside of a plastic pot, or (rarely) a plastic pot in a clay pot. I don't grow Cyps in tehm, but other plants that require cooler consitions and especially cooler roots, like besseae hybrids. I tend to pack sphagnum moss in between the pots, and don't use sand.

I use pot in pot but never tried placing sand or moss between the pots. Do you plug the drainage holes or leave them open to allow the water to drain away instead of evaporating?

Latest posts

Back