Yesterdays trip: Schwerte + a privat collection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marc

Yesterday a fellow enthousiast and I took time for a trip to Schwerter Orchideenzucht. It's a nice nursery with a couple of greenhouse with a very broad collection. It's located in the center of the German Ruhrpot and was about a 1.5 hour drive for us.

First I would like to show you some pictures that I took in the nursery.

Half a tablet full with flowering Masdie's
Lotsofmasdies.jpg

Bulbophyllum ......
Bulbjakobsoniifmaindonesia.jpg

Paph. helenae
Paphhelenae.jpg

Paph. Wossner Vietnam Love
PaphWossnerVietnamLove.jpg

I picked up some nice plants for my own collection.

• 1x Paph, dianthum, 2 growth flowering size plant
    1x Paph appletonianum var. hainanense, 3 growths of which one flowered and 2 new ones
    1x Paph venustum, 1 growth near flowering size
    1x Paph venustum alba, 1 growth near flowering size

After the visit to the nursery in Germany I took time to take some pictures with my compact from flowering plants in the private collection of the person I went on a trip with. Enjoy the shots.

Barbosella cogniauxiana
Barbosellacogniauxiana.jpg

Barbosellacogniauxiana2.jpg

Maxialaria lepidota
Maxialarialepidota.jpg

Mediocalcar unmboiense
Mediocalcarunmboiense.jpg

Mediocalcarunmboiense2.jpg

Macrocliniumspecies
Macrocliniumspecies.jpg

Macrocliniumspecies2.jpg

Leptotes pauloensis
Leptotespauloensis.jpg

Leptotespauloensis2.jpg

Epigeneium nakahare
Epigeneiumnakaharei.jpg

And the fun isn't over yet.

Laelia alaorri
Laeliaalaorri.jpg

Cattleya harrisoniana
Catlharrisoniana2.jpg

Catlharrisoniana.jpg

Unfortunaly due to how digital compacts work some colour shifting took place in some photo's.

I was surprised by the helenae as well. First time I saw a flowering one in person and I was so surprised by it's "size" :D I knew it was small but I didn't know it was that small.

bulbo may be wightii, and i don't think it's from indonesia

Nice pictures Mark! Question for you, are there many people in the Netherlands that collect "species" orchids, or do most people who have orchids, just buy your average "pink or white unlabeled Phalaenopsis"?

Bedankt,
Robert

Nice pictures Mark! Question for you, are there many people in the Netherlands that collect "species" orchids, or do most people who have orchids, just buy your average "pink or white unlabeled Phalaenopsis"?

Bedankt,
Robert

There are lot's of people here that have a couple of Phalaenopsis on their windowsills but more serious collectors are harder to find. Allthough there are lot's of regional societies that each have about 5 - 10 serious collectors that have their own greenhouses most of the other members are windowsill growers.

Very cool pics Marc ,thanks!!!! I like the 'private' plants, esp. Leptotes!!!! Didn't you meet Hakone at Schwerter's :) ? Jean

Very cool pics Marc ,thanks!!!! I like the 'private' plants, esp. Leptotes!!!! Didn't you meet Hakone at Schwerter's :) ? Jean

Nope, don't know when Hakone was there but if he was there monday it would be 2nd time I could have seen him but I didn't.

Back