Wtf?????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smartie2000 said:
no bid...
and it looks quite crappy
Is it even a true hangianum, the leaves are so narrow

I would love to own a hangianum though

I got my first two seedling from a vendor in your city. $20 each. I wish the were still among the living.

My only living one comes from out east and it is hanging one for the time being.

Kyle

Kyle said:
I got my first two seedling from a vendor in your city. $20 each. I wish the were still among the living.

My only living one comes from out east and it is hanging one for the time being.

Kyle

Kyle,
Did you read the chapter regarding hangianum in the book "SLIPPER ORCHIDS OF VIETNAM" and try to replicate it.
There is a chart on page 136 which show the amount of rain (read water supplement) & temperature.
I read in vietnamese websites, they actually say the species is easy to grow.
One person mentions he is using straight diatomite & dolomitic stone (I am surprised that they have access to diatomite, I guess they import it from Australia)
But don't blame me if diatomite kills your plant (I just translate here what I read from the vietnamese websites)

Last edited:
Kyle said:
The size and cleaness of the leaves. Plus he also has vietnamense x roth, most taiwan vendors would carry flasks of both.

Hanginaum is hard to grow, in my opinion, and they often look pathetic. Or at least mine do, until they die.

Kyle
I happen to agree with Kyle, it looks like the plant is from the flask.
I still have friends & relatives who live in Vietnam.
Believe me, they would not buy something that small with ONE & A HALF LEAF for 30 dollar, 3 dollar, not even 30 cents. Not even 3 cents, not even 0.3 cents
So therefore, no aboriginal highland man, woman, or child would yank a little plant like that to bring down to the capital to sell.
No middleman, middlewoman, middlechild would accept that plant to ship to the "Big brother dealer from China".
No big brother dealer from China that has any modicum of sanity left would even include that speck of a hangianum to the "WHITE MEN's LAND" even as a free gift accompanied his shipment.:rollhappy:
Now, to suggest that it is jungle collected, we are questioning the intelligences of all those peoples I listed above.
Remember, not too long ago, the missionaries question whether the natives here has any soul!
By the way, CARETAKER, I don't mean to insult the size of your plants, or question the price as well as the worthiness of it.
I am trying to prove my theory that your plant is indeed from flask (And not jungle originated as the gentlemen here suggest)

Last edited:
Kyle said:

Kyle

hmm....I have to keep going to society meetings then for my chance for hangianum.
and very time I go I end up getting more plants :p I just got paph lowii, paph niveum and cyp Alaskanum.

Guess what Heather, our phrag expert brought a mexipedium for show this meeting and he offered a division for $75, expensive but still better than ordering from zephyrus (tax, shipping and handling, and mealie bugs). I will have to think about this one. The blooms are so cute but you are right the plant is not really compact...the pot was huge:eek:

I also sent them a message at EBay letting them know about the plant.

Not sure if all of us combined caused them to withdraw it maybe???

Although it seems unfair of me considering I own some myself (legal in this country).

Hein, I really like your analysis and point of view. However, if you review the posts, you'll see that no one suggested it was jungle collected. I simply asked Kyle why he was so convinced it had been flasked. Please read carefully before posting.

cdub said:
Hein, I really like your analysis and point of view. However, if you review the posts, you'll see that no one suggested it was jungle collected. I simply asked Kyle why he was so convinced it had been flasked. Please read carefully before posting.

I understand why Hien posted his response. And he is right, no one would buy a wild collected hangianum in that condition. But that aside, there is other signs that point to artificial propagation. Also, division is considered artificial propagation.

Cdub, Zach, Kyle.
I agree, it is my error to interprete the flask question as implying only one answer (wild collected)
Cdub only asking for the features of flask originated plants.
-If that the case, the seedlings will be almost uniformly unblemished just out of flasks.
The only exception, is if staying in flask too long, there seems to be loss of leaves, rotten wet leaves (no more full leaf) Also if the grower is not skillfull (read ME, for example) then, the first few days will see spotted leaves as well as leaf lost.

And I believe Kyle is right in his expanding of the answer for us about the definition of artificial propagation. From what I heard, that new growth in the nursery cultivation (not the original mother plant) is defined as artificial propagation. Also seeds that made from the flower that blooms on that growth (not the bloom on the old growths, regardless whether they are still attached to each others or not)

Now the plant on ebay may either be from flask or a division as per all suggestion.
I incline to say flask, but it is not treated very well. the half leaf is a cut to correct the fertilizer burn, the leaves look unshiny and dehydrated (I am an expert on this dehydrate department, JUST ASK ALL THE PLANTS IN MY COLLECTION)
There is a slim chance that it is a division (professional growers, always advise not to divide until the plant has 6 growths. 3 for old & 3 for new portion). But I can not say whether the seller applies this rule or not.

Back