Woodlice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Hi guys.. Some help needed here. What is the simplest and most effective way of getting rid of woodlice? They're one of the major pests in my garden, frequently hiding in any moist media, breaking down the medium and chewing the root tips.. :mad: Any advice greatly appreciated. TIA :)

My first thought would be diatomaceous earth. You must keep reapplying it, but it does kill the bugs...slowly...

They do like humidity, but not water! So very, very dry or under water :)! Apparently they appreciate raw potatoes, banana or orange peel; you should be able to collect them on those :)! Jean

What do wood lice look like- how big are they? I see some tiny white flecks in old potting mix and wonder if they are hiding out down there?

Combine 2 above suggestions -
-sprinkle the D.E. around the potato, banana & orange, now you got 'em! :rollhappy:

Woodlice are sowbugs. I have them in just about every pot. I'm not sure that they are all that damaging...just annoying. Maybe a drench with Physan would be enough to irritate them into leaving.

I use diatomaceous earth liberally and often when needed. It works for me. :) Fortunately I rarely have any bugs to kill. :cool:

I didn't have a bug problem [little gnats] until I got a bunch of compots. :( I would like to see a photo of wood lice. :confused:

Thousands of pics of woodlice / sowbugs / pillbugs out there. Any search should find them. These crustaceans rarely cause problems except perhaps by making media break down faster.

Eric, ya never heard of Google? :p

Woodlice are a pest to me because they make the medium deteriorate very rapidly and the roots suffer (especially sphagnum moss and other organic stuff). I'll try the orange peel idea...

I know what a sowbug/pillbug is; this is what Eric M. is describing but they don't match your description. I will check Google for Malaysian wood lice. :poke: If they're the same as our pillbugs, many hours of youthfull entertainment can be had with a magnifying glass and good sunshine! :evil:

if pots are on the ground it makes it much easier for them to get in the pots. if you can raise them up on at least a short bench and put some tanglefoot type stuff around the legs that can help keep them away (after you purge what's in your pots). sounds like a picture of the bug would be a little more helpful since us yankees wouldn't know what a malaysian wood louse might be ;)

Latest posts

Back