Phrag. Schroederae browning

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

parasocks

Reaction score
Hi All

Hope you well

A few months back I purchased a Phrag Schroederae. I recently noticed that the plant has some brown spots on the stems and some leaves and new growths. I have smelt it and it has no smell, I assume its related to bad culture on my part, I have been growing them outdoors and watering every 6 days or so. The media is moist but on the dry side. The temps are around 4-20 degrees C at the moment and its in bright indirect sun (we in winter here, heading into spring).

I am not sure if this is Rot and if i should remove the buds and leaves? It does not seem to be spreading but I am not sure. The Phragmipedium Paul Eugene Conray that I bought at the same time seems fine, no issues.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Parasocks

Attachments

abax

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I'm only guessing, but I suspect the following: not enough watering and/or
getting water down into the leaves. Perhaps you might move the moss away
from the plant growths at the base of the leaves.

parasocks

Reaction score
Thanks i will try that. Is it fine to grow them in a shallow tray of water?

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Looks a bit like a pseudomonas infection to me, but it's hard to say for sure. I'd consider a copper-based treatment. They are typically sold as fungicides, but are pretty good bactericides, too.

Brabantia

Reaction score
I am with Ray subgestion. I have also observed same situation on my Phrags. To get rid of this problem I treated with FloridaMix (a mix of Aliette and Dithane).
But as these materials are difficult to buy Bordeaux mixture is a good alternative. Copper concentration must be around 500 mgr/liter.

Latest posts