Woah! Great surprise!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
I got a very happy surprise about a half hour ago or something, when my friend was over and I just had to show her some of the new root nubs on my roth (the one I thought was going to die due to practically no root system when I got it? That has started growing new roots? Anyone remember? The one I purchased from Schwerter? Alright, never mind), without disturbing the plant as much as possible, that is. So I pealed back some of the top most sphagnum just to show her a little glint and lo and behold, the two nubs that I had thought were new roots are in fact two friggin new LEADS!!!! :eek:

How great isn't that?!

I mean, one new lead would've been awesome, but two?! Man, I'm so darn happy I want go cartwheeling all over my apartment! :rollhappy:

This is just...Wow... :D

Yay! That's practically tomorrow when one is counting using roth time. ;)

It has (or rather had before it lost three of its leaves) a leaf span of, 60 cm (the longest leaf is approximately 30 cm) so it has some serious growing to do, which it apparently plans to do too.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I say two new growths? I meant THREE! Plus new root nubs! *faints*

No wonder it had started to get so darn thirsty all the time... I was wondering where all the water went since I believed it only had some new root nubs growing.

I'm in shock now I think...

Sorry to say something on the opposite, which you wont be happy about this:

Putting out several growths at a time may not be a good indication to the healthiness of the plant, especially when you once mentioned it is rootless. Sometimes plants in order to survive they will do something silly (in our sense though), for instance putting out inflorescence when they FEEL they are going to die, or putting out lots of growths with an aim to maintain survival.

So....better for you to post some photos and check the roots. If there is plenty, no worry and it is a big big surprise.

Sorry to say something on the opposite, which you wont be happy about this:

Putting out several growths at a time may not be a good indication to the healthiness of the plant, especially when you once mentioned it is rootless. Sometimes plants in order to survive they will do something silly (in our sense though), for instance putting out inflorescence when they FEEL they are going to die, or putting out lots of growths with an aim to maintain survival.

So....better for you to post some photos and check the roots. If there is plenty, no worry and it is a big big surprise.
I did as you suggested and unfortunately it seems as if you were correct. :( I only found one little growing root and the remnants of three nubs that someone has managed to kill by keeping her roth too dry (I wonder who this idiot could be?).

So one tiny root to support mommy growth and three little ones. It doesn't look good I think. The only positive sign I could see was that one of the baby growths is trying to grow its own root.

Now it's back to waiting and watching. :(

Dang...

I did as you suggested and unfortunately it seems as if you were correct. :( I only found one little growing root and the remnants of three nubs that someone has managed to kill by keeping her roth too dry (I wonder who this idiot could be?).

So one tiny root to support mommy growth and three little ones. It doesn't look good I think. The only positive sign I could see was that one of the baby growths is trying to grow its own root.

Dang...

I actually think it is a good sign. the plant is trying to grow--don't kill it with kindness by overnurturing or constantly checking the root zone. Just keep growing it with good culture and it will recover fine.

I actually think it is a good sign. the plant is trying to grow--don't kill it with kindness by overnurturing or constantly checking the root zone. Just keep growing it with good culture and it will recover fine.

I am sorry to say that but I could not agree with you. With one root to support a medium-large roth with 60 cm leaf span plus three additional side growths, I could not guarantee the survival of the plant itself. What I can imagine is...the leaves of the main growth will gradually become yellowish, weak, fall and wrinkle. Because the maximum capacity of water absorption of the single root cannot supply sufficient water to the plant.

To Mutant:
Perhaps if you are brave enough, you may cut some base leaves in order to relieve the starve of water and place it under shady environment for initiation of roots. If you have some sphagum, I would wrap it around the stem in order to encourage root growth (but care not to over-cover the nubs as that might rot them). I could not guarantee if this works as I dont think I am experienced though. Hope some folks could help you through...

I am sorry to say that but I could not agree with you. With one root to support a medium-large roth with 60 cm leaf span plus three additional side growths, I could not guarantee the survival of the plant itself. What I can imagine is...the leaves of the main growth will gradually become yellowish, weak, fall and wrinkle. Because the maximum capacity of water absorption of the single root cannot supply sufficient water to the plant.

To Mutant:
Perhaps if you are brave enough, you may cut some base leaves in order to relieve the starve of water and place it under shady environment for initiation of roots. If you have some sphagum, I would wrap it around the stem in order to encourage root growth (but care not to over-cover the nubs as that might rot them). I could not guarantee if this works as I dont think I am experienced though. Hope some folks could help you through...
Thanks for your suggestion. I've moved it so it stands together with the Phals again and it has a rather thick layer of sphagnum covering the top of the substrate and the stem.

Since it only has three leaves left (it had six when I got it), I don't feel comfortable with removing any of them. Instead I'll keep spraying the foliage with water so it can absorb something. I hope one of the little growths might survive, but for now I'll just wait and see how it develops or declines. :/

Dang...

I'm not really keen on misting or spraying plants. To me it does more harm than good. In any case my suggestion is let nature takes it course. If its gonna die its gonna die :). But I think they will be okay as you said they have roots.

I'm not really keen on misting or spraying plants. To me it does more harm than good. In any case my suggestion is let nature takes it course. If its gonna die its gonna die :). But I think they will be okay as you said they have roots.
So far it seems to have appreciated being sprayed, or rather; it doesn't seems to care that much about it.

I nurse a tiny whiny hope for the largest of the leads, but for now, I'll just knock on wood. Just as you say; I'll let nature take its course and what happens, happens. :)

Here are the three new growths:

The smallest one:
247189.orig.jpg

And the other two, it's the largest of these two that I hope might actually make it, but I'm not expecting it to:
247190.orig.jpg

Well done on the new growths. I am jealous I have only managed to get one new growth on a charlesworthii hybrid and that is it. you must be doing something right then. I hope they all make it.

In your first pic I do see what appears to be a root tip coming out so *maybe* your roth will pull through.

In your first pic I do see what appears to be a root tip coming out so *maybe* your roth will pull through.
It has another one of these too, but I think they might be dead since they look too brown to be any living root tips. :sob:

Well, not much to do except wait and keep my fingers crossed.

Back