Where to look in Germany???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby5757

lightly hirsute
Reaction score
So I leave on the 2nd for 5 weeks in Germany. (June 3-6; Copehagen--June 7-15; Berlin--June 15-17; Dusseldorf--June 17-July 11; Munich.) Our class ties up with the Landscape Architecture Dept. of our tour guide/ professor's previous school in Munich, and I get 5 credits. Sweet, no?

What cool orchid things/places should I keep my eyes out for? I remember Olaf at the WOC showing us slides of his beautiful little hamlet in Bavaria, and that Franz Glanz's Wossner Orchideen is in Unterwossen, not far from Munich. Franz's website though mentions the shows that you can go and see him at in 2004...Does anyone know if his greenhouse is still open??

Anywhere else that some of our slippertalkers abroad (or local) can suggest?

Another question...What if there is something I just HAVE to have. (you all know what Im talking about) I've never done plants from another country. Is it expensive? I'd have to get a CITES doc, right? Maybe not worth it?

Look forward to any suggestions you all might have! Thanks!

Awesome, are you in landscape architecture? That's what I'm going to grad for. Sorry, off topic. Imports are a pain the the you know what, especially for certain species-which-shall-not-be-named... but I'm sure some here is far more able to adequately answer that question. Regardless, take photos for us!

Unfortunately, you can't take anything from Germany and bring it to USA, 'cause CITES are needed....
But if you want to take a look at an orchid greenhouse, Germany is maybe the better place in Europe :)
There are several places, like Orchids&more, Schwerter, Tonn, Roellke, Currlin,
Orchid Palace, Detlef Frenzel, and so on :)

If you're interested in orchids in general, there are a couple of nurserys worth visiting in the Munich suburbs.

While in Copenhagen, you should definitely visit Hans Christiansens nursery in Frederiksborg.
From Berlin, its a 90 minutes drive to Popows nursery, for unusual Paph species and some real cool specimen Paphs.
Franz Glanz is still open and certainly worth visiting. You may be able to see some of his own breeding which is uncommon elsewhere.
In Berchtesgaden you'll find the Cramer nursery; Gig Cramer occasinally puts real good stuff on the judging tables.
Try to go to Deggendorf and visit the nursery of Peter Kopf, he not only has Paph species but a vast variety of pleurothallids and minis, and he's currently one of the best growers on the continent.
On the first weekend in July, the annual summer fest of the German Orchid Society is going to take place at the Roellke nursery near Bielefeld (in the west of the country). The three nurserys mentioned above, and a few more will have sales tables, a judging session is planned for Saturday, and the greenhouses of the Dürbusch (Duerbusch) nursery is only half an hour away: great complex hybrids (Paph. Lippewunder!!) in excellent shape but probably not much in flower at that time.

If you buy hybrids, you need only one CITES, but you need a CITES document for every single species you plan to buy. May take 6 weeks to get the permits.

Enjoy your trip, there are a few beautiful Cities on your schedule!

Best wishes, Carsten

Unfortunately, you can't take anything from Germany and bring it to USA, 'cause CITES are needed....
But if you want to take a look at an orchid greenhouse, Germany is maybe the better place in Europe :)
There are several places, like Orchids&more, Schwerter, Tonn, Roellke, Currlin,
Orchid Palace, Detlef Frenzel, and so on :)
I think that Orchid Palace is closed.

Awesome! Thank you all for the information!

Ill have to start googling and looking for addresses. I hope I can steal away from the group long enough to go see them. I feel bad going to see greenhouses when i can't buy anything. Doesn't seem fair to take their time, though if I had a greenhouse and someone from another country (respectfully) came to visit I think Id be happy to let them in.

I just looked and Frederiksborg is practically in Copenhagen. This may all work out! :clap: I'm gonna end up dragging these college kids around to look at "green leaves in pots". Who knows, maybe Ill make a grower out of one of them.

Again, thank you all so much for the info. I have a great basis to start my search!

Viele Grüße

Ty

Nope Hans Christiansen is in Fredensborg -- that's a 2hours ride from Copenhagen city

Latest posts

Back