"What do Orchids Eat?" Experiment

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update. I counted the new growths on Den lindleyi (15)! I also checked the Cattleya luteola. The new growth leaves are already longer than the old ones! So exciting.

Also something interesting to note. I have a huge Phal Crestwood Mahogany. I was speaking with Tom (Stones River) at our show in May and he commented that this plant has always had floppy leaves and a messy growth habit.

I noticed that ever since I started this project, the floppy leaf growth is being replaced with firm leaves and stately traditional Phal growth. This is an unexpected surprise! I'm tickled pink with these results.

I don't see much of a change with Soph. cernua. I think I might just have a dud plant. We'll see.

I thought I would post some pictures of the progress.

C luteola pictures from 5/29 showing 2 weeks post zero fertilizer.
C luteola pictures from 7/18 showing 1 week post 2nd K Lite dose.
C luteola picture showing old growth length.
C luteola picture showing new growth length.

Phal Crestwood 'Mahogany' showing old floppy growth.
Phal Crestwood 'Mahogany' showing new strong growth.

Although my experiment is not scientific, I am pleased with the results so far.

I would also like to make a side comment per my conversation with Rick back in May. We discussed that the weakness of the orchids could be part of the problem that I was having controlling pests like scale and mealybug. I am happy to report that with the stronger growth, my inspection yesterday found only 2 orchids with residual pests. :clap:

Attachments

• C luteola 5_29_2013_2.jpg
    C luteola 5_29_2013_2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17
  • C luteola 5_29_2013_3.jpg
    C luteola 5_29_2013_3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 14
  • C luetola 7_18_2013_2.jpg
    C luetola 7_18_2013_2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14
  • C luteola old growth.jpg
    C luteola old growth.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 13
  • C luteola 7_18_2013.jpg
    C luteola 7_18_2013.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Phal Crestwood Mahogany old growth.jpg
    Phal Crestwood Mahogany old growth.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Phal Crestwood Mahogany 7_18_2013.jpg
    Phal Crestwood Mahogany 7_18_2013.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 22
So far so good Shady:clap:

At our recent society show and tell table I saw several phalaes from our members that had new big leaves that looked like they had been using one of those leaf shine products. But they aren't using those products, and seem to be also seeing the effects of their new fert programs.

I am happy to report that my Bulbophyllum tingabarinum has six spikes! It has consistently bloomed one pitiful spike for the last 3 years. This is so exciting! Also my C. harrisoniana 'Volcano Queen' just popped buds through the sheath!

I am happy to report that my Bulbophyllum tingabarinum has six spikes! It has consistently bloomed one pitiful spike for the last 3 years. This is so exciting! Also my C. harrisoniana 'Volcano Queen' just popped buds through the sheath!

You are having a great year Melisa:clap::clap:

Are you getting new growth on the tingabarinum?

I had lots of bulbos refuse to grow at a decent rate for years (let alone bloom) under high K, but respond very quickly with the fert change.

In particular a B rothschildianum and B.wendlandianum adding only a growth or two a year and never blooming. Now they are total weeds, and I had multiple spikes on the wendlandianum this spring.

You are having a great year Melisa:clap::clap:

Are you getting new growth on the tingabarinum?

I had lots of bulbos refuse to grow at a decent rate for years (let alone bloom) under high K, but respond very quickly with the fert change.

In particular a B rothschildianum and B.wendlandianum adding only a growth or two a year and never blooming. Now they are total weeds, and I had multiple spikes on the wendlandianum this spring.

Hi Rick,

All of the Bulbos have fantastic new growth but I did move them from mounts to baskets with a moss/orchiata mixture. They needed more water.

I did leave the tingabarinum mounted but I moved it to a shadier location with more misting. So I can't really include them in the K-Lite experiment. But I will take the results with just the water change on these. :)

Latest posts

Back