Phrag. Xerophyticum 'April Fool' x self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The downside to this species is that it's not really a stay in the pot kind of plant.

If you do redirect the new growths into the pot, proceed with extreme caution, because those rhizomes can be brittle and subject to snapping off.

I usually add some kind of barrier during the growing season to prevent escapes. For instance, I'll strategically place a plastic label or card in the way of a developing growth. I also anchor down the flyaways to the potting mix so they don't go airborne. At least I do that in theory. In practice I do get lazy.

Another strategy I use is to guide the new growths into their own separate pots, since that makes it easy to take cuttings down the line.

The downside to this species is that it's not really a stay in the pot kind of plant.

If you do redirect the new growths into the pot, proceed with extreme caution, because those rhizomes can be brittle and subject to snapping off.

I usually add some kind of barrier during the growing season to prevent escapes. For instance, I'll strategically place a plastic label or card in the way of a developing growth. I also anchor down the flyaways to the potting mix so they don't go airborne. At least I do that in theory. In practice I do get lazy.

Another strategy I use is to guide the new growths into their own separate pots, since that makes it easy to take cuttings down the line.
Wow that is a good idea. The thing I hate is that 2 growths are rooted well and then the others go into the air and I try to root them by bringing them down. However then the top of the medium is too dry and they don't root. I put spagnum moss but that gets dry to fast and I'm also to lazy 😴 . So the plant can do whatever it likes and will get it's deserved repot in a year and a half. Thank.
Also the leaves are so interesting in that if you snap one in half they are completely see though and translucent; did this on accident 😳

I can’t recall if you have implemented this yet or are you still only threatening us, muffin man :)
Just throwing it out there, in case some adventurous individual would like to try it.

With my extremely limited plant space, I simply couldn't try it.

Al of Al’s orchid exchange formerly of leesburg va had a colony growing on a very big slab of tree fern. I have an experiment I’m trying but so far it doesn’t want to go from the gap between pieces of fern onto fern itself. Maybe if I kept moister somehow (or I have the wrong type of fern…)

Al of Al’s orchid exchange formerly of leesburg va had a colony growing on a very big slab of tree fern. I have an experiment I’m trying but so far it doesn’t want to go from the gap between pieces of fern onto fern itself. Maybe if I kept moister somehow (or I have the wrong type of fern…)
New Zealand tree fern fiber? (Xaxim)

Latest posts

Back