What is your favourite multifloral Paph?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you certain David? To me this sounds a bit ridicolous since the F2 of such a cross would vary way more than the F1. But ok, if that is the common practise...It probably explains why there are so many roth Mount Millais around. Back-crossing to get an alba roth-alike is a tempting idea, but in my mind its even worse than crossing malipoense with jackii to get a better malipoense.

Bjorn and Charles, I heard the same thing as David. I didn't check the original source, but see the example of C. Hardyana here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grex_(horticulture)#Horticultural_treatment_of_greges

It seems weird, but if you start to think about any F2 hybrids (or complex hybrids), one plant of a grex could be quite different from another with the same grex.

Sibbing

Bjorn,

Labelling is different for crosses compared to selfing or sibbing.
Progeny from Roth 'mont millais' x self are not Roth ' mont millais'.
They should be labelled either just Roth or Roth ' mont Millais' x self.
Crosses between plants of the same grex such as Hellas will remain Hellas no matter how many times they are crossed with each other. If you want to distinguish between plants within the grex then give them a clonal name.

David

Its not easy is it? Actually I knew that part, the mount millais was just an exaggeration trying to show what I think about the practise used on hybrids. THAT part however was new to me, so thanks David:)

Not agree with that. There are probably easy to grow seedlings but I have 3 plants from 3 differents seedlings and they grow slower than all my roths. And even slower than some of my sanderianums!

MK can be easy but not always.

My experience too Fabrice. I've found them to be very slow. I haven't had a lot of luck with this hybrid. I just need to get one of these vigorous clones everyone else seems to have.

In case this thread is not dead yet. My preference, in this order, is:

Paph. parishii

Paph. dianthum

Paph. sanderianum

Paph. Prince Edward of York (rothschildianum x sanderianum)

Paph. philippinense var roebelenii

Paph. Chiu Hua Dancer (gigantifolium x sanderianum)

Paph. Umatilla (parishii x philippinense)

Of course this order could change once I actually see some blooms of the few I actually have...

Paphiopedilum Wössner Black Wings GM/TPS - I took a picture April 2015 in Taiwan. Huge plant. I would make space for a plant like this.

dc81675aa59f4c426ca5447d6db9bbf9.jpg

How big is this plant? About 16” diameter?

Latest posts

Back