What is your favourite multifloral Paph?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mks are easy to grow so are pey they would be an excellent first choice!!! Get a blooming size plant, keep it for a year pay attention then get flasks of the 2 you will be happy

Mks are easy to grow

Not agree with that. There are probably easy to grow seedlings but I have 3 plants from 3 differents seedlings and they grow slower than all my roths. And even slower than some of my sanderianums!

MK can be easy but not always.

Not agree with that. There are probably easy to grow seedlings but I have 3 plants from 3 differents seedlings and they grow slower than all my roths. And even slower than some of my sanderianums!

MK can be easy but not always.

I think MK requires more light than roth or sandie due to the phili influence. I grow two MKs, 1 indoors, 1 outdoors, but both receive as bright light as possible.

Eric the best advice I can give about that stonei album post you pulled from archives is give it to me!!!! That is pretty awesome, that is the exception

The St. Swithin album indicates the existence of a roth album.......or am I wrong?

The St. Swithin album indicates the existence of a roth album.......or am I wrong?

Not really, Bjorn. You missed "x sib" part (full-sibling cross: brother-sister cross). :poke: So that one is F2 (second generation hybrid). Under the assumption that album is caused by a recessive allele in a single gene, 1/4 of them will become album in theory. But having 2 copies of a broken gene (album is basically genetic disease) could have some minor issues, so the proportion of album in F2 could be smaller than expected 1/4.

Yeah, missed the xsib, thats right, But can you call a St. Swithin xsib for St. Swithin? Thought that name was only for the F1?

sibbing

Bjorn,

all generations of St Swithin x St Swithin will keep the same name.
For example there are plants around from the F3 of Hellas x Hellas and they are still Hellas.
Of course now the interesting thing would be to back cross this album St Swithin to a normal roth to produce Gary Romagna, then sib two of the progeny to find some album GR's.
Now these would be 75% roth and some would be very 'roth like' indeed.
We get much closer to an album roth type flower!
If we repeated the procedure of crossing a GR onto a normal roth then sibbing the progeny these would be 87.5% roth and some would be almost certainly indistinguishable from a pure bred roth.
However this process would be 4 generations of breeding so many of us would have shuffled off this mortal coil before a album roth look alike was produced,
David

Are you certain David? To me this sounds a bit ridicolous since the F2 of such a cross would vary way more than the F1. But ok, if that is the common practise...It probably explains why there are so many roth Mount Millais around. Back-crossing to get an alba roth-alike is a tempting idea, but in my mind its even worse than crossing malipoense with jackii to get a better malipoense.

Well if you did a mount Millais self x you wouldn't have mm, you would have a bunch that were mm x self which each need their own new clonal name. Someone can't call them mm unless it's a clonal division. So there may be lots of plants that have been selfed and lazy or unrealizing people are just writing mm incorrectly on the tag

Elmer Nj

Back