what is this plant?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baodai

Reaction score
ID please
Thanks,
BD

Attachments

• what is this plant.JPG
    what is this plant.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 209
guaranteed sangii cross there...seen delenatii x sangii and micranthum x sangii and the staminode's a dead ringer. other parent is an interesting question...what's sympatric with sangii in nature? plz show whole plant...

guaranteed sangii cross there...seen delenatii x sangii and micranthum x sangii and the staminode's a dead ringer. other parent is an interesting question...what's sympatric with sangii in nature? plz show whole plant...

Tim,
It is not my plant so i can't take more pictures, There is no sangii in the area
Thanks,
BD

Attachments

• canh1.JPG
    canh1.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 99
  • canh2.JPG
    canh2.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 111
Very interesting! Where was it growing in nature or could it be a man made hybrid, baodai?

Don't know but it's not from this world! Somebody squash that giant green cockroach so we can see the staminode!

This is a deformed flower. It happens sometimes, even in captive culture. It can be caused by damage from insects, or from fungal or bacterial injury as it just started to develop, or it can also be genetic. In the first case it will probably produce a normal flower next time; in the latter it will not.

Seeing a good photo of the plant will give a clue but more data is needed for making a better guess.

This is a deformed flower. It happens sometimes, even in captive culture. It can be caused by damage from insects, or from fungal or bacterial injury as it just started to develop, or it can also be genetic. In the first case it will probably produce a normal flower next time; in the latter it will not.

Seeing a good photo of the plant will give a clue but more data is needed for making a better guess.

I've seen more photos of the plant and flower.Its 100% a new species in my opinion,and is not a single flower happening...but many,have same kind of flower so....new species.

I agree with Leo and others, with the little data at hand it is hard to say and easy to speculate what this is. I would guess it has until recently lived in a jungle in China or Vietnam.
I agree it looks deformed, and that pouch yells "parvisepalum!" at me. Well, actually it yells "parvi-hybrid". I have not yet seen a Barbata, Paphiopedilum or Polyantha species that produced such an inflated pouch even under the worst conditions.
Eric thought dianthum. There's the hybrid of dianthum x villosum (x petshleungianum or so) described which I find ugly and unlikely but possible.
A natural hybrid between something hover-fly pollinated like dianthum and something bee (?) pollinated like a parvisepalum- species on the other hand seems so unlikely to me that I wonder if somebody helped Mother Nature out with a toothpick.
From the combination of characters visible from baodais pictures I couldn't even place this flower in any section of the genus Paphiopedilum.

Valenzino, if you mean by "species" what botanists consider a botanical species, I have some doubts. If you mean a new "kind" including a hybrid of whatever origin, well, maybe. Having only one plant of this thing at hand makes a hybrid even more plausible to me.

..but many,have same kind of flower so....new species.

I'm not sure if I read this correctly; are you saying that there are many people out there who who own plants of this particular kind? Meaning, that there's not just this one ugly duckling but many of them?

It's either a weird cross or new species, but I don't believe the latter, [unless it was found in the wild near no other types]. Please post a photo of the plant.

I also saw the photos on the other forum. The person who owns the plant lives in Vietnam. From what I understand, the plant was collected around a year and a half ago along with 5 others that the plants look the same. As far as I know the others have not bloomed yet. There was no other information provided about what might be nearby.

Susan

some more pics

Attachments

• canh3.JPG
    canh3.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 82
  • canh4.JPG
    canh4.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 49
  • canh5.JPG
    canh5.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 54
I'm not sure if I read this correctly; are you saying that there are many people out there who who own plants of this particular kind? Meaning, that there's not just this one ugly duckling but many of them?

I mean that the owner(and discoverer) of this plant,have more that bloomed,taken from the same area,and all plants have this flower form.
There are some photos of the plant in another forum and is very different from others.(still parvi like but have its own separate characteristics).
I know that some taxonomists are already studiyng this plant so soon we will have a more precise answear.

Latest posts

Back