What if Phrag besseae was never collected?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't referring to palm oils, but consuming in general.

Tropical soils isn't very good for farming unfortunately, since the soil erodes quickly. But I don't know if that is the case for palm trees.

I wasn't referring to palm oils, but consuming in general.

Tropical soils isn't very good for farming unfortunately, since the soil erodes quickly. But I don't know if that is the case for palm trees.

The soils will support the palm plantations just fine. The problem is when they clear the forests near streams the water in the streams over heats. Most of the aquatic species die and many (most?) endemic aquatic species become extinct in a matter of a season or two. The streams dry up when exposed to the sun. Rural residents who used to have water running through their farms no longer have it. The plantations are sprayed with insecticides and you can imagine what happens to the runoff.

"Chicken Little" was right after all.

The soils will support the palm plantations just fine. The problem is when they clear the forests near streams the water in the streams over heats. Most of the aquatic species die and many (most?) endemic aquatic species become extinct in a matter of a season or two. The streams dry up when exposed to the sun. Rural residents who used to have water running through their farms no longer have it. The plantations are sprayed with insecticides and you can imagine what happens to the runoff.

"Chicken Little" was right after all.

Thanks for sharing, even if it is a sad reality!

Back