Aloooooha

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

limuhead

Hi everyone,

I posted a few things after joining a few days ago and one of the people who saw my post(s) suggested I come in here and introduce myself. Ok, I am very fortunate to live in Wahiawa Heights, which is one of the highest residential neighborhoods on the island of Oahu. Our house is situated at just over 1,100 feet on a ridge where the cool trade winds and abundant sunshine(even though it rains almost every day) make the conditions pretty much perfect for growing orchids of many types. I work as a carpenter all over the island so my commute is not all that bad even though Honolulu is known for some of the worst traffic in the USA. Being located in the center of the island means I am a 15 minute drive from my favorite surfing, fishing, and diving spots on the North Shore and still close to 'town' if I need to get there. For the last 20 or so years I have lived within 100 feet of the beach so I have grown and collected some amazing warm growing cattleya and dendrobium species, displayed and sold at local orchid shows, given culture talks and demonstrations to local societies, and even judged at small shows on Oahu and neighbor islands. Now that my daughter is away at college and her mom and I moved to 'Gods Country' I plan on putting more time into and focusing on growing and hybridizing Phrags and some cooler growing species. In the Spring when it starts warming up I will be happy to trade many of the species that I have been raising and line breeding over the years with anyone who is interested(will be posting pictures soon). Looking forward to talking with all those who share my newly found passion for Phrags and will be grateful for any helpful hints. And yes, the avatar is me on Halloween a few years ago; I love life and having a good time...
Mahalo and Aloha, Fred;)

Glad that you joined. You certainly are living my dream. My wife and I visited three of the islands a few years ago abd had the best time. We are always talking about when and how we can get back there. Especially in winter in Maryland. On the big island all we did was go to orchid nurseries, that was my partof the vacation. We visited Kia and he does have some amazing phrags and other plants. The phrags literally grow like weeds there. You are very lucky to wake up there every day. Love to see some pictures of where you live. Good to meet you.
By the way, great halloween costum.

WELCOME! Those of us in the midwest & the northeast are very envious about now, we've been in single digits or below 0. I was fortunate to visit Hawaii once, it's a definite go back to!

welcome from germany

its nealry the same tmep as with you on the sign before is different:evil:

JC was a carpenter. And so was I.
Got a real kick out of Meet the Parents.

Fred, show some fishing pics when you get a chance. :)
beer1w.gif

Welcome from frigid Michigan, Fred. Thanks for introducing yourself (and making me totally jealous...) I'm very interested in what you are doing with Phrags. I believe it's on the "big island" that Quintal Farms has been doing a great job of growing Phrags (among other things).

JC was a carpenter. And so was I.
Got a real kick out of Meet the Parents.

Fred, show some fishing pics when you get a chance. :)
beer1w.gif
like this?

SANY0311_zps383afe0e.jpg

This was a while back, scuba diving at 114 feet. 14 minutes bottom time at a place we dive once every few years(conditions have to be perfect o it's too dangerous). My girlfrinds cousin and I brought up about 15 or so fish, about 40 pounds total weight; not bad for 14 minutes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a mill.

When ever fishing turns into catching, I get face cramps from smiling.
Love these types of days.

Hawiian sling???

Thanks a mill.

When ever fishing turns into catching, I get face cramps from smiling.
Love these types of days.

Hawiian sling???

Speargun and sling actually. At that spot we will go in and shoot 1 fish with the gun and leave it on and wait right next to it. Other fish come in to investigate and it is pretty much like shooting fish in a barrel, just the barrel is 100 feet deep...

... and very wide! are there tough currents in that area most of the time? (why only dive once in a great while)

fish look good. ever have sharks or things like that come to investigate?

Latest posts

Back