Aloooooha

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and very wide! are there tough currents in that area most of the time? (why only dive once in a great while)

fish look good. ever have sharks or things like that come to investigate?

Yes, it happens every once in a while. Sharks are bullies, if you bop them in the nose with a sling they will go away; most of the time. The thing that is really scary are moray eels. They are much more aggressive, not afraid of anything, and really territorial. I got the name limuhead from a diving buddy of mine. When I was younger I used to stick my head in holes(where the eels are) in the reef to look for lobsters, fish and whatever else I could find. My buddy told me that I would be in the reef so long that limu would grow on my head if I didn't come up for air. Limu is Hawaiian for seaweed/algae...

Is that a goatfish? Never seen one so large....

My wifes cousin, the blonde haired guy is holding 2 goatfish, they can get really big in areas where they are not eaten before they get like the ones in the picture. The one I am holding is an Uhu which is Hawaiian for parrotfish. Both are really good eating!

Where I live at the bay, 100 yards off the beach is 3' deep at low tide.
The place of this photo is 114' deep, is it 150' from shore? Maybe less???

The striped bass fishing went downhill locally the last 5 years. Fluke fishing is somewhat better now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clark- Did you get all the weakfish we had out east this summer? More weakfish than I've ever seen in my life. Too bad I hate eating them....

Eric- weakfish ok last season from what I heard. Also larger than other years.
Anchoring up in front of the famous Matawan Creek during outgoing tide can be fun.
I don't eat them either. Fact of the matter, unless the person standing next to us will take it, my wife and I throw it back in the water. No matter what the species.
Folks in this area target stripers, blackfish, and flatfish mostly. We are surrounded by boat owners/sportmen, but have not gone myself since summer of 2010.

As for the divers I know, lobster only.

Dive spot

Clark,
That spot is about 1/2 mile out on the east side of Oahu. It is hard to find, even with GPS because of the current. There is nothing else out there, all flat, no features except the bowl shaped depression where that is. About 50 to 75 feet wide, mabybe the ledge goes back 6 feet, kinda like a horseshoe. Great spot, but like /i said hard to find the right day. There has to be no trade winds, no surf, and a slack tide to even think about diving it.

Our weaks were all about 16-19", on the small side, but I've never seen them come in so reliably. NY only allows you to keep 1 weak, so I threw them all back, even though I was usually getting 4-6 every evening. I did keep one to try on the grill...actually tasted good. I didn't make it out enough in May, when its easiest to catch stripers in my creek, but I heard people did well. I average 1 keeper a year, but not this year. (Did get nice ones with my son taking a charter out of Orient, though.)

Thanks Fred for explaining about this honey hole.
I had more of a steep dropoff in my head, trying to visualize it.

I think we will need a dedicated fishing thread in the future. :D

I think we will need a dedicated fishing thread in the future. :D

I've purchased a fishing license the last two years, and bought a combo rod/reel with the intent of going salmon fishing this fall, but haven't been out yet. I had some freshwater or inland salmon steaks given to me by a friend's son who went up quite often this last fall. he had so much that he was freezing and giving it away. was told there were steelhead in season up there right now, but with usual winter weather not too many people brave it until later.

have seen the brave/crazy ice fisherman on hatch lake and dorchester/whitney point reservoir this winter, almost thought about walking out today to see what was up

There are some areas that drop super deep right off the shore. Other areas have a slow gradual descent and everything in between; until you hit the 'ledge'. Lava flows, landslides, and shearing off/piling up of just about every feature you could immagine on a volcanic mountain and more(giant surf, insane currents between the islands, lava tubes) creat an underwater playground full of delicious fish, and danger. Remember, if you measure from base to summit the island of Hawaii is actually larger than Mount Everest.

A dedicated fishing thread would be great! Charles- how safe are those salmon to eat? The state put in so much effort to establish a first class salmonid fishery in Lake Ontario, but the lake was so heavily contaminated by Myrex and, I guess, a lesser extent, dioxin, that they wouldn't allow consumption. It's been some decades since, but I know the St Lawrence is still considered really bad. Regardless, 1 meal wouldn't hurt anyone................

hmm, first i've heard of it; I also see lots of fishermen up there. there is a state salmon fishery not far from here, so nobody was going to catch/eat them, seems like it would be a waste. I had also gone fishing in the late '80's when a college roommate from nearby here took me up there, same area. he had two freezers full. seems like they would be announcing all over the place to not eat anything you catch, and I know people are eating them. ... thanks for the warning, I will certainly try to find out some more info

the barge canal is right by here and I know lots of people fish there, some who eat; but I would never eat a fish from there for the same reasons you are mentioning

Back in my grad school days, I was a TA for a field biology class. One of our regular trips was to the Hudson River, west bank, across from Indian Point. This was the very late 70's, the height of the PCB scare in the Hudson. The banks were lined with people fishing (most likely for catfish, white perch, maybe striped bass or eels). I mentioned about the PCB's, and all the warnings and health concerns. One of my students replied, "well, better to die of cancer tomorrow than starvation today."

Charles- how safe are those salmon to eat? The state put in so much effort to establish a first class salmonid fishery in Lake Ontario, but the lake was so heavily contaminated by Myrex and, I guess, a lesser extent, dioxin, that they wouldn't allow consumption. It's been some decades since, but I know the St Lawrence is still considered really bad. Regardless, 1 meal wouldn't hurt anyone................

I just read online at least for chinook salmon from lake ontario, it is safe to eat one meal a month, but for kids 15 and under plus pregnant women, none. I was also surprised to read that many fish from the adirondack and catskill mountain regions, the same advisory is in effect! (only one meal a month) will have to research that one a bit more

I just read online at least for chinook salmon from lake ontario, it is safe to eat one meal a month, but for kids 15 and under plus pregnant women, none. I was also surprised to read that many fish from the adirondack and catskill mountain regions, the same advisory is in effect! (only one meal a month) will have to research that one a bit more

Do you believe that they can really determine that eating one meal a month is safe? If in doubt spit it out.

don't know... though since I already ate what my friend gave me, it's waay too late to do anything about it (it tasted good).

I did see on one safety advisory web page, that many people who fish up there and all either don't know anything about any safety advisories (like me), or don't know the severity of the warning and choose to ignore it. I actually didn't know that there was any kind of food safety advisory eating fish in the adirondack region, thought it was pretty clean though have read about some places that had been pretty polluted from tanneries.

Like I think Eric M. posted here somewhere (a quote from his son) 'if you're starving, then it won't matter to you that eating too much is bad for your health'.

Back