West Canada Creek Native Orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In mid-June I spent a weekend going to Pitch Pine Bog near Rome, NY and then next day went up to West Canada Creek at Harvey Bridge. At WCC, I had been told by a co-worker that he had found a few lesser purple fringed orchis there plus a ton of other wildflowers. He has been going there quite often to fish and take flower pictures sometimes with other co-workers and family.

I ended up finding quite a few purple fringed orchis all along the bank going for quite a ways, and I think if I kept walking up along the creek bank I would have found quite a few more. Also was thinking that there might be some platanthera flava since this spot seemed very much like the upper hudson river area where I had been directed to other interesting orchids. Very soon I found them in very late flower, and not much longer after that I found club spur orchis in flower. Soon after that, I found spiranthes lucida in high seed pod stage. All in all there were four different native orchids growing on the bank very close to the water (and under water at high stages) and growing alongside and mixed in with each other. There were quite a few other interesting things flowering there as well. As always this spring/summer I had to keep an ear out for thunderstorms which did of course show up later.

wcc1.JPG
wcc2.JPG

platanthera flava

wcc3.JPG
wcc4.JPG

purple fringed

wcc5.JPG
wcc6.JPG

wcc7.JPG
wcc8.JPG

left pic club spur and purple fringed; right is shining ladies' tresses with seed pods. the spiranthes were within feet of the purple fringed and club spur growing together on a very shallow spit of sand/rocks out in the water. high water would completely cover these up

wcc9.JPG
wcc10.JPG

left pic is club spur and purple fringed

wcc11.JPG
wcc12.JPG

left pic club spur and purple fringed

wcc13.JPG
wcc14.JPG

left pic showing bank of creek with lots of purple fringed; right is nearby 'oswego tea'

okay, the next thing I remember is that they are usually in spots where the water is moving a bit, or seeping through grass or moss. I have seen them in Grant Fen that well is a fen so doesn't seem like the water is moving very much, but it may have some lateral movement. Maybe because in that environment they are growing in moss there is more aeration (?). It might be possible to grow it in a wet garden, I'll have to see if I can find nurseries that are propagating it to see what they suggest as far as planting sites.

Are the purple fringed Platanthera psycodes? If so, the ones I've seen are growing just about anywhere where it's wet - in ditches, in wet spots near campsites in a campground, in the boat storage area....so, I think all it needs is wet. There are a few nurseries that sell these types, but I can't saya for sure this particular species. Not much in Canada, though:(

okay, the next thing I remember is that they are usually in spots where the water is moving a bit, or seeping through grass or moss. I have seen them in Grant Fen that well is a fen so doesn't seem like the water is moving very much, but it may have some lateral movement. Maybe because in that environment they are growing in moss there is more aeration (?). It might be possible to grow it in a wet garden, I'll have to see if I can find nurseries that are propagating it to see what they suggest as far as planting sites.
That would be great. Please keep us informed.

I've seen P. psycodes growing in stagnant water, in mountainside seeps, along streams, and in grassy balds (in the southern mountains).

In cultivation I wouldn't keep it wet, but always moist instead. Finding one will be difficult unless you can get permission to collect one from someone's property. These are rarely offered in the trade, and virtually all will be wild sourced.

I'm wondering now if the elevation here is as much of a consideration along with moisture as pH and other factors. I realized that many native orchids in upstate ny are often found in areas that are relatively higher elevations. Bog candles and lesser purple fringed come to mind, as well as spiranthes casei and some others. As long as the ground and water are fairly cool, that may be a strong controlling factor to the type of moisture it will grow in.

Latest posts

Back