vietnamense bud-watch

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it very nice colours, have to wait next time for the shape as it can really improve from the first to the second bloom in this species (plant must have maximum growth to make good flowers)

Did it open any more?
Sure, these are from Sunday 12th
iYBJz.jpg

bBpY.jpg

4bFXN.jpg

Tried to measure size, seems to be approximately 15cm across now. Normal is 10-12.

Wow, I would be interested to see if one of those would survive in my gh, with my viets :) !!!! Jean

Why would they not? I am seriously considering to self it, the plant is extremely vigorous, having 3 sideshoots together with this hughe bloom. Must be some genetic thing as it came out of the same flask (probably, I have had 2 flasks)

Do you know the clonal names of the parents?

They are just some numbers, do not recall right now, but expect that the parents are wild-collected and let to breed (and die?) like Roth have described in some of his threads. And yes, its from Hung Sheng.

About watering... I read you water often in summer. Do you keep your plants on the wet side if you campare with other Paphs?

I also read you use urea as fertilizer. Do you water to foliage and the mix?

The compost is mostly marble gravel With some sand, moss and bark so it does not adsorb much water anyhow. But yes I water almost every day. Try to restrict myself to every second/Third day, but its difficult. And its overhead with a hose. Since the pots are small and the leaves overlap quite a bit they may experience drier conditions than I believe though. When I see obvious cases of the latter, I relocate a bit and try to give more water. Winter is a much drier story though.

All my water contains fertiliser at a low level (<100ppmTDS, some 15ppm N perhaps a bit less) that is added through proportioners connected to the hose I use for watering. No weekly fertiliser, just always fertiliser, but little. The same water is used for all my orchids including phrags like kovachii, andrettae and fisherii that seems to like it as well. If this info is connected to the fact that I overhead water with a hose,,,well its justifiable to claim that to some degree also foliar feeding is going on. And btw. water in the crown is unavoidable so it happens at every watering with no particular amount of decease incidents. But that is a different story:D

The compost is mostly marble gravel With some sand, moss and bark so it does not adsorb much water anyhow. But yes I water almost every day. Try to restrict myself to every second/Third day, but its difficult. And its overhead with a hose. Since the pots are small and the leaves overlap quite a bit they may experience drier conditions than I believe though. When I see obvious cases of the latter, I relocate a bit and try to give more water. Winter is a much drier story though.

All my water contains fertiliser at a low level (<100ppmTDS, some 15ppm N perhaps a bit less) that is added through proportioners connected to the hose I use for watering. No weekly fertiliser, just always fertiliser, but little. The same water is used for all my orchids including phrags like kovachii, andrettae and fisherii that seems to like it as well. If this info is connected to the fact that I overhead water with a hose,,,well its justifiable to claim that to some degree also foliar feeding is going on. And btw. water in the crown is unavoidable so it happens at every watering with no particular amount of decease incidents. But that is a different story:D

Thank you so much!

Good stuff. Too bad judging is based on "Natural Spread", because those wings on the viet would make it huge if held out straight.

Its still expanding! At least I hope so:eek: I am travelling right now so I cannot check before coming home on Saturday:drool:
It seems to be common for vietnamense to start up as "hound-dogs" before stretching out the "ears". But will this one? - I hope so.

Very nice vietnamense, I hope my seedlings will grow like yours. I have to say though, as impressive as the big one is, I prefer the little one on the right because of the shape. But both look great and happy!

Update

It has not expanded as much as I hoped for :(
NwVa.jpg

But perhaps, since it is not staked, and therefore hangs a bit, if I tilt the pot so that the flower faces upwards????
aqTic.jpg

That does of course make a difference. Perhaps the next blooming (at lower temperatures) will improve stature - and of course if I staked it...... One of these days I'll self it.....

Latest posts

Back