Utricularia blanchetii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
Utricularia blanchetii is a Brazillian terrestrial Utricularia with a limited genographic distribution (central Bahia). It is super easy to grow, and floriferous. I just have to add water to the tray once every 1-2 weeks. It seems to be ok with fairly low light (phototynthetic photon flux density, PPFD, of about 150 µmol/m^2/s). Here is the link to my Orchid Borealis blog post with a bit more info.

Utricularia blanchetii on Flickr

Are these carnivorous? Is there an aquatic form submerged or is it a bog plant?

Would make for a good kusonomo

Linus, yes, they are, but I don't have to feed anything.

My understanding is that terrestrial Utricularia might get submerged some time, but they prefer to be above water. There are some species which has somewhat different morphology when they are submerged vs above water.

Kusamono for bonsai? I don't know well about Kusamono, but could it be too attention grabbing?

Are these carnivorous? Is there an aquatic form submerged or is it a bog plant?

Would make for a good kusonomo
Kusamono is when the plants are the focus of the piece and not a Bonsai tree right?
In this case, yes, I believe Utricularia would work wonderfully.
Some species such as U. fulva she to a greater degree U. graminifolia prefer being submerged but others such as this U. blanchetii and U. sandersonii do very well above the water line.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kusamono is when the plants are the focus of the piece and not a Bonsai tree right?
In this case, yes, I believe Utricularia would work wonderfully.
Some species such as U. fulva she to a greater degree U. graminifolia prefer being submerged but others such as this U. blanchetii and U. sandersonii do very well above the water line.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

These Utricularia flowers, presentation wise, remind me of the Amitostigma keiskei on this website: www.kusamonogardens.com/shop/kinoshitas-amitostigma

(or maybe also the Spiranthes sinensis)

Back