Masdevallia racemosa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I haven't posted for a while since I was on a long family vacation to Miami and Florida Keys. I probably missed lots of posts, but I had a great time. It was great to visit the Redland International Orchid Show, too! Anyway, I had this surprise when I got back.

This is purchased 2 years ago from Ecuagenera. It has been growing well, but this is the first bloom. I didn't know that it was going to flower, so I was very excited when I opened the door!

I'm using a new camera (Olympus E-M1) with in-camera focus stacking for these. I'm pretty impressed by this camera. Yes, it is a fairly old camera, released a couple years ago, but the price is affordable now since a newer model is coming up soon. It is pretty close to my perfect camera at this point. I also started to migrate to Lightroom from Aperture (unfortunately), so I'm not quite comfortable with the post-processing yet.

Link to my Orchid Borealis blog post, which contains more info (including culture condition and a bit of focus stacking impression).

Masdevallia racemosa on Flickr

Masdevallia racemosa on Flickr

Masdevallia racemosa plant on Flickr

Very nice! I read on your your blog that you use 4 tablets (325 mgr ASA) per gallon in the event of stress. Is this concentration not a little bit to high? À dilution at 1/10000 is usualy recommended.

Very nice! I read on your your blog that you use 4 tablets (325 mgr ASA) per gallon in the event of stress. Is this concentration not a little bit to high? À dilution at 1/10000 is usualy recommended.

When I started to do ASA, I did read a couple of papers to get the concentration. But I can't find the paper. So I looked around quickly today, and you are right, this could be a little at the high end. With 4 tablets per gallon, it is about 2mM concentration. Some experiments used up to about 0.5mM, so 1 tablet per gallon may be a better choice. Your dilution (1/10000) is about 0.5mM, I think. I have used up to 4 tablets per gallon, but most of the time I use 1 (or 2) tablets per gallon. I haven't investigated about this topic recently, but I vaguely remember that there is phytotoxicity with too high concentration. Also, there was some report saying that SA can reduce the root growth. This reduced growth could be a good response when the plant is stressed/under the attack since the plants should be spending more energy to fight with pathogen than growing. I haven't seen any direct negatives, but it is better not to over-do it.

Today I was quickly looking at this paper:

H. Kessmann, T. Staub, C. Hofmann, T. Maetzke, J. Herzog 1994. INDUCTION OF SYSTEMIC ACQUIRED DISEASE RESISTANCE IN PLANTS BY CHEMICALS. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 32:439-59

It mentions that SA is not so effective for inducing disease resistance because sprayed SA can only induce resistance in the cells with immediate contact. Interesting.

"Clearly, the application of SA will induce local resistance to the same spectrum of pathogens as seen with TMV-induced SAR (systemic acquired resistance) in tobacco. .... Reports of SA-mediated resistance are restricted to effects in the treated tissue,indicating that SA does not translocate effciently when applied exogenously." (p.447)

So I'm not sure about the effectiveness of ASA. Sometime, early stage of infection seems to stop with just ASA. But it may have had stopped without ASA. Or deflasking survival rate seems to be higher with ASA application, but maybe the seedlings were strong. It is difficult to tell without a controlled experiments.

Latest posts

Back