Stelis mystax

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
I got this Stelis mystax as a small plant from the Scratch-and-dent sale of Seattle Orchids, just over a year ago. It is a fairly unique species (i.e. no close relatives). It is close to previous Dracontia. Currently it is placed under the broad sense Stelis (originally in Pleurothallis, but it was completely misplaced), but I have a hunch that it could change in the future with more data.

I'm growing it at min temp of 55F, but I'm wondering if it prefers warmer temp? Does anyone grow it warmer?

Link to my Orchid Borealis blog post

Stelis mystax on Flickr

Stelis mystax on Flickr

Stelis mystax (plant) on Flickr

This is how it looked like when I got it about 1 year ago.
P9230005.jpg

Ooh ooh.... Ive grown this twice, love it. Once from parkside and once from j and l
Do they have more?

I grew it under normal room temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Ooh ooh.... Ive grown this twice, love it. Once from parkside and once from j and l
Do they have more?

I grew it under normal room temps

I don't think Seattle Orchids have it any more, but Ecuagenera seems to have it (and I'm speculating that is probably where Seattle Orchids got them from). I think you are right about temp, I'm going to move it to warmer area.

So big flowers - such a tiny plant!
Wonderful photos!

Yes, it is a nice species with fairly big flower!

I have grown it well with nights closer to 65F. I think 55F might be a bit too cool resulting in a slightly slower growth habit. Fantastic close ups!

Latest posts

Back