upstate ny pterostylis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whatever seems to happen during fall and early winter on a northern kitchen windowsill, which is very dependent on the outside temps. though, I placed a piece of white cardboard between the plants and the glass when I put up the spotlight, so it's likely in the high 50's -low 60'sF for the soil, though the flower spikes that are growing upwards towards the spotlight shield are warmer as the cfl gives off some heat

update actually it's pretty toasty underneath the light, with the cardboard shield in place (when the light is on)

the first dragon is about to start yawning, so i'll have to take some progress images

Last edited:
whatever seems to happen during fall and early winter on a northern kitchen windowsill, which is very dependent on the outside temps. though, I placed a piece of white cardboard between the plants and the glass when I put up the spotlight, so it's likely in the high 50's -low 60'sF for the soil, though the flower spikes that are growing upwards towards the spotlight shield are warmer as the cfl gives off some heat

update actually it's pretty toasty underneath the light, with the cardboard shield in place (when the light is on)

the first dragon is about to start yawning, so i'll have to take some progress images

Sounds like what they would like. Based on the progress of your plants I'd wager they get a fair bit more warmth than mine which always bloom in late winter, peaking in early March. I think the key with these is to grow them cool with a strong diurnal temperature shift.

I took an update pic of the spikes on 12/29, and then again four days later...

pterobuds1212a.JPG

spikes/buds on 12/29; note the left spike is much shorter than the middle one

pterobuds113b.JPG

taken yesterday (1/02); the left spike is now quite a bit longer and is taller
than the middle one! I had moved up the light a few inches (and forgot to move
it back down) to get a standing picture of the buds, and in the few days the
one spike grew up above the other one! I have an orchid society meeting this
sunday, and would love to have an open flower or two for people to check out
so i'm leaving the lights on overnight

starting to open

I think that I dried things out a little bit too much! The first flower has browned off, and the one that was next in line is developing a bit, but the third flower (from the largest pot) is flying past the first two and is starting to open. I gave them a solid drink of water a few days ago and they are taking off

pteroopening113a.JPG

all plants/pots progress

pteroopening113b.JPG

pteroopening113c.JPG

pteroopening113d.JPG

pteroopening113e.JPG

front of second-largest bud, in smaller pot

pteroopening113f.JPG

back view of largest bud

I was very concerned about keeping the soil too wet, since many of my former aussie terrestrials had rotted, though some of that problem may have been because of extreme heat on the pots on my windowsill. I had seen that the soil of these two pots was getting a bit dry, but didn't think that they would be that reactive to dry conditions.... live and learn! They don't really dry out all that quickly, and I don't think i'm watering more often than each 1.5 weeks, if not two weeks

I just wanted to add that one of my fellow orchid club members also received some pterostylis curta tubers from David Mellard, and he is growing them much cooler than I am. He told me sunday that he had them in four or five different pots and media, one with all perlite (so that he can dig them up and check out their progress). He (Krum) told me that he hasn't watered yet, and that for some the leaves are just starting to poke above the top of the media

Latest posts

Back