Zygopetalum bloom after 2 years!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Wong

Reaction score
I am new to terrestrial orchids about 3 to 4 years in. 2 years ago I bought a zygopetalum. It was $45, in an over grown 5 inch pot with over 10 pseudobulbs. I thought i scored the best deal ever!

I have never had zygopetalums before and watered and use the same substrate as my Paphs, which can hold a bit more water. Turned out it was a huge mistake and I had to take all the substrate out doubled the amount of perlite, char coal, and medium and large bark. I also realized I was watering it too much! It likes frequent, but very light watering, just enough to keep moist because high moisture makes the leaves spot.

Well after yearsrs. It finally bloomed. I am still learning though.

Attachments

• 20230819_103447.jpg
    20230819_103447.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 1
Zygos and their Allies are not easy to grow. I have always been reluctant to try them. But recently, after 50 years of orchid growing, I figure that the time has come.
Why now? Well the above part is true, and I have always thought them to be extremely attractive! Greens, pinks, purples and browns, are colors that you just do not see too often. Especially on one plant.
They are pronounced cooler growers, they prefer temperatures of 55-75 degrees. A local buddy of mine does pretty good with them. He waters them well while actively growing. He swears by a winter rest period where he lets them dry out a bit more. He increases water and fertilizer when the days become noticeably longer and of course warmer. Light he says should be bright, without a lot of direct sunshine. Armed with that information, I figure to try a few.
Watch me kill them all! 🤪😜

Zygos and their Allies are not easy to grow. I have always been reluctant to try them. But recently, after 50 years of orchid growing, I figure that the time has come.
Why now? Well the above part is true, and I have always thought them to be extremely attractive! Greens, pinks, purples and browns, are colors that you just do not see too often. Especially on one plant.
They are pronounced cooler growers, they prefer temperatures of 55-75 degrees. A local buddy of mine does pretty good with them. He waters them well while actively growing. He swears by a winter rest period where he lets them dry out a bit more. He increases water and fertilizer when the days become noticeably longer and of course warmer. Light he says should be bright, without a lot of direct sunshine. Armed with that information, I figure to try a few.
Watch me kill them all! 🤪😜
I won't lie, I have two that are almost dead. They are completely different from Paphs, which I am pretty used to.

It's so weird to see all the comments about Zygos being difficult and sensitive, I grow them right alongside my multis. They get watered and fed the same and never see cool temperatures, I set my thermostats for a minimum of 65°f and during summer sometimes I can't get the temp much below 80 even at night. As long as they don't go dry they don't seem to care.

20230502_180312.jpg

Screenshot_20230820_192658_SensorPush.jpg

Latest posts

Back