upstate ny pterostylis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a few years ago some of us imported some australian terrestrials native orchids and tried them out. it didn't work well for some of us, and none of them survived for me. a fellow north american native orchid enthusiast david mellard of georgia offered a few of us some free aussie terrestrials and a lot of information about how to grow them. he gave me some pterostylis curta, which are very easy for him in a greenhouse. a year ago I tried to interpret his culture for my windowsill, which didn't work...

this year, I kept them absolutely dry, potted in dry standard potting media and didn't water until they started sprouting above the media. I put them outside to get some sun and rainwater, and they look pretty good!

pterostylisupdate1012a.JPG

plants/pots

pterostylisupdate1012b.JPG

pterostylisupdate1012c.JPG

I think all of the tubers have come up, which is pretty amazing considering my past (lack of) success ratio :) . they are potted in standard potting mix, and i've covered the media with some of the asian cyp media that you can get from robert's flower supply, just to keep the soil in place and keep the bottom orchid leaves from resting on the soil

Looking good.

I have spoken to Les Nesbitt a couple of times recently. I suggested that if a large order was consolidated, it would be much cheaper per tuber but he isn't interested in selling overseas.

If you guys are still interested in buying tubers, I'd recommend Heinrich Beyrle in Germany (link below).Heinrich has succeeded with some plants that have proved almost impossible to grow in pots, even by Australian growers.

http://www.myorchids.de/main1.htm

Regards, Mick

yes, Les explained to me just how much it would cost to just get an export permit, extremely prohibitive. also, each step of the inspection and permitting for a particular order is also extremely expensive

thanks for the link. I had received information about this grower and checked it out briefly, but since early august things have been very busy so I didn't continue to investigate

Hey Charles, they look good. Nice to hear that David is sending plants out to folks around the country - his huge pot of P. curta must be distributed across all of North America by now. I've been growing a handful of Australian greenhoods for around 6 years. They spend most of their growing cycle on a north facing, shady windowsill with the average temperature around 5-10 C all winter long.

I give them no special treatment except a bit of soluble fertilizer now and again, but especially at the beginning of growth since this is when the plants are fattening up. I've found that if you grow them lean at this time they won't grow very large and may not flower. So, it is key to keep them moist and fed in the fall and early winter.

Another hard lesson I've learned is that you need to repot them often for best results - yearly is best. If you keep them in the same mix year after year they go into a decline after a couple seasons.

Good luck! Getting plants out of Australia is, ah, well, for rich people with good connections. Madness.

Nice to see the pterostylis which I understand after an inane name change are now diplodium. I find these relatively easy in my climate and my my P curta are just starting to form buds. I also grow P. coccinea which are in flower now, obtusa and truncata. I grow them in a gritty soil mix in clay pots plunged in sand. I keep them dry and cool all summer but I start them in to growth at the beginning of September with a light watering. Early growth builds the rosettes before the cold weather sets in. I have them in a covered frame with bottom heat which keeps the roots at just 5 c but the air temperature gets down to as low as 2 c. I have attached some pictures of them and I hope you can see that in the case of P. coccinea the flowers arise directly from the bulb with no rosette. Bulbs that form rosettes are not flowering size.

Attachments

• pterostylis coccinea 2 28oct12.jpg
    pterostylis coccinea 2 28oct12.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 28
  • pterostylis coccinea rosettes 28oct12.jpg
    pterostylis coccinea rosettes 28oct12.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 14
  • pterostylis curta 28oct12.jpg
    pterostylis curta 28oct12.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 19
  • pterostlis truncata 24oct12.jpg
    pterostlis truncata 24oct12.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 11
  • pterostylis obtusa 28oct12.jpg
    pterostylis obtusa 28oct12.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 14
I think I see flower spikes starting out today, (didn't see last night) so I think I'll put my spot-led light over them to give them some more oomph. I have mostly watered them once they started emerging, by putting them outside when it was going to rain, with something right over the top to keep the media from splashing around, except for the one time I gave them a good feeding. The pots are getting a little light again right about now probably at least two or more weeks after the last watering, so they need some more again

spikes and oops

I also noticed a few days ago that there were some flower spikes quickly starting out. When I picked up the clear aircone pot, I unfortunately saw a reason for not potting tuberous orchids in clear-sided pots :eek:

pterostem1212.JPG

flower spikes reaching for the spotlight I just placed above them

pterooops1212.JPG

one of the tubers saw more light coming through the side of the clear, aircone
pot and is trying to grow through the plastic. I wonder if it will rot or not,
or if I should try to excavate and do 'something'? there is one trying to do the
same thing on the opposite side

So far it looks like I have had 100% mortality with mine.

And I can assign cause, one mistake after another. Largely do to the fact that I have too many plants, and if anything needs to be treated different than my Paphs or Phrags, its gonna die. :(

sorry to hear that, leo; was basically my result with things. David finally told me that I should just pot them up and not water them at all until I saw green tips coming up, and then I didn't water until many of them had green above, and the soil was completely dry when I potted. also I didn't really water very often. I was probably watering too much but then intermittently last year and also this year I have kept the pot from any kind of sunlight which didn't help last year (bright hot sun then nothing for many days) so they have been much cooler. I've also kept them in completely different areas than my other orchids, so they didn't get too much or untimely water. Some of the first times they were watered, it was by putting them outside when I knew it was going to rain. so maybe getting first water as rainwater helped rather than their getting water (though clean) with chlorine in it
I am growing them this year all on windowsill except for a week when they were outdoors getting rain in the early fall

new spikes/buds

these flower spikes have been jumping right out of the pot! after I put the cfl spotlight over the two pots, I decided to leave the lights on for a long daylight period. actually, I left them on for a few days at a time without a break in daylight. the spikes in the larger pot have been emerging/growing more quickly than the smaller, and the spike in the center has really been growing very fast

newptero1212a.JPG

lights, pots and spikes

newptero1212b.JPG

whorls and spikes

newptero1212c.JPG

an alien awaiting the opening of it's 'pod' :)

Pretty cool Charles. They look happy.

I get to visit with David every few months since he's a judge at the Atlanta Center south of me.

Latest posts

Back