Pecteilis (Habenaria) radiata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Thought I’d start a thread for these White Egret Orchids which I got as corms from Kusamono Gardens in March. I’m curious if mine are the size they should be at this point…may need a bit more sun?
I potted them in perlite and sphagnum and keep them moist continuously, on the southeast side of the house. Next year I’ll get their aged Kanuma perlite and some variegated ones if I get these to
bloom.

Attachments

• IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Well, it depends on when you started them.
When I had mine, I kept them in the fridge during the winter months. The green sprouts start around February but I would take them out around March or early April.
To reach the size of what yours look like in the photo above, it would take about two months or less.
Then, the flowers start around August.
Constant moisture or wet feet might be necessary. They also need good light, so direct sun or very bright light for best results. Excessive heat should also be avoided. They easily multiply. Mine would go from one corm to three, then 9, then over twenty, thirty...

Well, it depends on when you started them.
When I had mine, I kept them in the fridge during the winter months. The green sprouts start around February but I would take them out around March or early April.
To reach the size of what yours look like in the photo above, it would take about two months or less.
Then, the flowers start around August.
Constant moisture or wet feet might be necessary. They also need good light, so direct sun or very bright light for best results. Excessive heat should also be avoided. They easily multiply. Mine would go from one corm to three, then 9, then over twenty, thirty...
Ok thanks pretty much how I have been treating them. I got them late March and planted them in April. Southeast light like everything else I grow but it does get hot here so they get a little more shade. I’ll keep updating!

When I had mine, I had them on a shallow pan or small pots and so they fit in the fridge nicely. I kept the whole thing undisturbed for years like this with great results.
I know some people prefer to take the corms out at the end of the season and keep them in the moistened sphagnum moss inside a plastic bag. I think leaving them undisturbed might be safer from having any rots. Just my take.
You are now in California, so you could easily overwinter them outside with protection from the rain, I would guess?
I would also consider keeping them covered up to prevent drying out completely, which will kill them off.

2024 update:
Pulled my corms out last fall and left them in perlite outside in my shed. I may leave them in the pot next year…

Got my new corms of the Ginza variegated ones this year and planted them with last years, which had sprouted! Used Kanuma with a sphagnum layer on top. 🤞 they do as well as last year!

Still want to do some Habenaria medusa but I think I missed the window again….maybe next year!

Latest posts

Back