Unusual Cross: Paph (Psyche x Doll's Kobold)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the color. I'd like to see it photographed from the front, straight on and a little bit higher camera angle. I think the form will look better.

What makes this one interesting for me is that I have several similar Brachy x mini crosses in the works. Considering this is only one result of this cross. It is likely that there will be better examples. This gives me hope for mine.

Roy - you mentioned using it for breeding pinks, how long might it take to improve the form? Aren't there already pinks with good form one could use and be a step or more ahead?

Rose, this is one plant that I would breed back to another Brachy probably bellatulum and also because it has a Brachy there already or onto Alladin ( if it breeds ). The first would IMO great shape into the flower and hold the color, the Alladin, not much shape but hopefully build on the color thats there.

Rose, this is one plant that I would breed back to another Brachy probably bellatulum ... The first would IMO great shape into the flower and hold the color, the Alladin, not much shape but hopefully build on the color thats there.

I'm curious, Roy, why you suggest bellatulum and not niveum or Pacific Shamrock x In-Charm White which is a purer white and less likely to contaminate the pink color with spotting?

Re the Pacific Shamrock x In-Charm White, do you anticipate fertility problems in crossing to a more complex Paph?

I'm eager to learn something of Paph breeding in preparation of future exploits.

Thanks

Tyrone,
Although niveum does allow the expression of purple/red/pink to come through in its offspring it does so in the form of pinpoint dots. So if you're trying to get a "solid" pink flower, niveum would not be the best choice. I could be wrong on this, maybe someone here can expand on this?

Hi Rickm

Would the alba form of bellatulum do the same as the niveum?

Also, concerning a bellatulum cross, I understand the short flower stem is dominant in crosses, how would this play out in the crossing being entertained here?

I like the color. As for the form I would not do any crossing to make it rounder. It is ok to be different.

Tyrone,
I have no answer for your first question. As for the flower stem, short isn't nessessarly a bad trait as long as it's strong. Holding the flower up in a pleasing position is first, height is secondary. The weak stem of bellatulum is the problem, letting flowers hang down below the plant and facing downward.

The discussion has been interesting. Thanks to everyone!:)

I will not use this plant for breeding, waiting, instead to see the result of other similar mini crosses I have made and are seedlings, now. In the mean time, I will grow and rebloom this one and see what it has to offer, then.

Tyrone,
Although niveum does allow the expression of purple/red/pink to come through in its offspring it does so in the form of pinpoint dots. So if you're trying to get a "solid" pink flower, niveum would not be the best choice. I could be wrong on this, maybe someone here can expand on this?

Rick H, I believe you are correct here. To clean up a flower I would use niveum or delenatii, to color up a flower I would use bellatulum, godefroyae or concolor. I see nothing wrong with a few dark spot either.

Latest posts

Back