Unusual Cross: Paph (Psyche x Doll's Kobold)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unusual EXTREMELY COMMON Cross: Paph (Psyche x Doll's Kobold)

Bought this one at the Slipper Symposium in Orlando this fall. Not great form.
PaphPsychexDollsKobold.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it an unusual cross, brachy x complex type is pretty common, and this is a logical combination. I agree the form is a bit disappointing on this one, but there is potential. I'd give it a home...

Doll's Kobold is a compact primary cross, (charlesworthii x henryanum)

Of course it is, that's why I said 'complex type' not 'complex'.

I could have been more precise and said 'any species of, or hybrid predominately derived from, subgenus Paphiopedilum'. I don't see Psyche x Doll's Kobold as a fundamentally different type of cross from Astarte (insigne X Psyche) or Blythe Bartlett (Hellas x niveum), far from unusual.

Nice colours, though! This is a small flower on a compact plant, yes? Very interesting!

Quite cool flower. If you had to imagine a pink bat popping up in front of you it silouette would look pretty much like the flower (then again I am crazy).

Super clone. I must get one---even though I don't like pink.

Interesting outcome Ross. A new cross with this as a parent could go two ways. My first choice would be Brachy for more rounding, thicker substance and spreading/intensifying the pink (I'm partial towards egg-shaped pouchs). Or continue with a complex type to take advantage of the pink overlay.

:clap: Tyrone's pink bat, yep that's it! I like the color ..... that's about it. :(
Roy - you mentioned using it for breeding pinks, how long might it take to improve the form? Aren't there already pinks with good form one could use and be a step or more ahead?

Wonderful color. Form? "not so much". Personally, I don't see a future as a breeding plant unless it is used with some well shaped mini to make more mini's. I would like to see this on Paph thaianum or maybe helenae. Other than that, a pretty pink to enjoy as is.

Interesting. I rather like the form, but then I'm not into the flat-and-round dogma ... I like curves ... and it's even better when they don't all go the same way ... and symmetry is OK. It's the colour I'm not sure about !

Latest posts

Back