Two Flasks from OI

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought these from Sam at a show in March. They were ready to come out then, but I was too busy/lazy at the time. Finally put them into compots about a month ago. The four on the left are tranlienianum "Dark Wings" x New World" CBR/AOS. The four on the right are venustum with both parents 50% Foxcatcher. I already had a nice venustum, but the one in Sam's display was incredible. It was a sibling of the two used to make this flask. They don't take much space, so I think I will flower them all, hoping to get another nice one. For reference, these are 4 inch pots.
Mike

Great job potting these up. What is your seedling mix? Did you wash off the agar first? Thanks for any info.

The mix is mostly small Orchiata with some chopped sphagnum and large perlite. I separate the plants coming out of the flask. The tranlienianum roots came apart easily. The venustum did not. I put the seedlings into the mix and sprayed them with some room temp tap water, and put them into 1 gallon Ziploc bags and sealed them up for 4 weeks. I have just today folded down the edge of the bags to form a teardrop shaped opening. I'll water these from time to time with dilute fertilizer and then in about 3-4 weeks, I'll fold the tops of the zipoc bags down to fully open them to the atmosphere. I've done it this way many times before and I seldom suffer any losses.

Mike

The mix is mostly small Orchiata with some chopped sphagnum and large perlite. I separate the plants coming out of the flask. The tranlienianum roots came apart easily. The venustum did not. I put the seedlings into the mix and sprayed them with some room temp tap water, and put them into 1 gallon Ziploc bags and sealed them up for 4 weeks. I have just today folded down the edge of the bags to form a teardrop shaped opening. I'll water these from time to time with dilute fertilizer and then in about 3-4 weeks, I'll fold the tops of the zipoc bags down to fully open them to the atmosphere. I've done it this way many times before and I seldom suffer any losses.

Mike

Thanks for the detailed info...very helpful.

Back