tug hill native orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
back the end of july I went up to the tug hill area of ny just east of lake ontario. it wasn't supposed to rain until late in the afternoon, but sure enough as soon as I got out of the car and headed out into the fen area, I started hearing thunder in the distance and some dark clouds. a few minutes later, I was back in my car...

when the rain let up (the first time) I went back out to try and take some pictures of platanthera psycodes, or the lesser purple fringed orchis. I found a few more species, including one I wasn't expecting at all (spiranthes romanzoffiana). this one lone spiranthes would probably be larger than any I have seen at any other spot... I should have gone back up to see it

tughill1.JPG
tughill2.JPG

left pic purple fringed and bog candle orchids right club spur orchis and bog candles

tughill3.JPG
tughill4.JPG

left pic bog candles and club spur

tughill5.JPG
tughill6.JPG

tughill7.JPG
tughill8.JPG

left pic two different shades of lesser purple fringed

tughill9.JPG

tughill10.JPG
tughill11.JPG

left pic spiranthes romanzoffiana and right pic club spur orchis

two years ago I saw nearly a hundred lesser purple fringed, and last year during the drought there were 0 orchids found. this year, the numbers were as high or higher than two years ago. amazing since the moss and ground last year was crispy. I was hoping to see the one completely white lesser purple fringed orchis I found two years ago, but though there were many very pale ones, there were no plants with completely white ones. it did look like there had been an earlier wave of purple fringed that were already past prime and flowers brown, so there could have been a white one already gone.

this year, plants in the open had been pollinated extensively with the pollinia missing from many flowers on lots of plants. the exception were the plants in the very high grass or sedge where the plants had very fresh flowers that looked mostly unpollinated

I need to arrange a hike with you! Nice shots!

thanks. there will be tons of spiranthes along rt 10 and in different areas of the adirondacks like rt 28 and 8 and others coming right along. there are some out there right now. also don't need to hike; they are right next to the road

VEry nice!!!! One of the purple fringed reminds me of a Calanthe in flower shape!!!!

Back