Cattleya quadricolor 'Elly' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmkl

ST Supporter - from Minnesota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Cattleya quadricolor 'Elly' AM/AOS which I purchased from Orchids Limited a couple of years ago. The flowers have started to age so I quickly snapped a couple of pictures.
_DSC0089_DxO_#1.jpg
_DSC0087_DxO_#1.jpg

I have a question to pose to the forum. Many photos I have found on the internet show a lot of fuschia or purple in the lip. On this one there are barely the four colors as referenced in the name of the plant. I realize that when the orchid was first discovered the moniker of 'quadricolor' was perhaps assigned inaccurately. I know that this particular variety is also known as chocoensis as well as candida. Chadwick's website has a very interesting and detailed write up on it. My question is should this particular form be considered an alba of the species?

I detect a small amount of an amethyst color up in the throat below the column. With an alba flower, I believe that in the case of Cattleyas, no purplish or amethyst is permitted. The yellow ‘discs’ are permissible in an alba Cattleya.
Not sure if yours would be an ‘albescens’ form or something else. But to my understanding, it is not an alba.

My Cattleya quadricolor 'Elly' AM/AOS which I purchased from Orchids Limited a couple of years ago. The flowers have started to age so I quickly snapped a couple of pictures.
View attachment 44754
View attachment 44755

I have a question to pose to the forum. Many photos I have found on the internet show a lot of fuschia or purple in the lip. On this one there are barely the four colors as referenced in the name of the plant. I realize that when the orchid was first discovered the moniker of 'quadricolor' was perhaps assigned inaccurately. I know that this particular variety is also known as chocoensis as well as candida. Chadwick's website has a very interesting and detailed write up on it. My question is should this particular form be considered an alba of the species?
I have always admired the OL picture of ‘Elly’ and your pictures confirm that. I have been reluctant to risk my growing conditions with a pretty expensive plant. Do you have a reasonably large Cattleya collection? Grow indoors or in a greenhouse. We are both in Minnesota.

I think big923cattleya hit the nail on the head. There is definitely some pigment in the throat, so this would not be considered an alba. The description and photos from OL confirm this:
Elly1.pngElly2.jpgElly3.jpg

Of note, this plant received its 84 point AM in 1979 at a show in Colombia, so it's a well-traveled heirloom! You have a fantastic blooming, so congrats!

I’ve seen it in bloom many times in Colombia and is confirmed albescent. It is one of the best shaped quads out there and valued highly in Colombia.

Latest posts

Back