Trichopilia Charlotte x ramonensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love this genus, but we fight a lot. I have a very hard time with leaf spotting and bulb rot. At least this one was happy with me this year. There are two more spikes coming with two flower buds each.

Attachments

• 20200909_192832.jpg
    20200909_192832.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200909_192811.jpg
    20200909_192811.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200909_192926.jpg
    20200909_192926.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9
Charlotte is one of the most beautiful Tricopillia hybrids. The 5-6" yellow flowers from galeottiana have twisted sepals and petals from tortilis. ramonensis is a natural hybrid of suavis and marginata. Suavis gives it its fragrance and marginata gives it the deep colored lip. The rot usually comes from water that gets into the newly forming pseudobulb before the leaf emerges. I have found that keeping the humidity high and watering carefully while the leaf is emerges minimizes this rot. Beautiful and well grown. Where did you get the plant?

Thanks all.

I grow my trichipolia constantly moist. In the summer, I grow it bordering on wet. Under lights in the winter, it is is a bit drier but never completely dry. Lots of air movement is key regardless of how wet it is grown. I transitions it to a rockwool cubes and perlite mix last year. This summer it was in a shady spot that only received a couple hours of speckled morning sun. This is the best blooming I have seen from it. Shady growing is definitely helpful.

This hybrid came from Porter's Orchids, but they closed a couple of years ago.

Lovely and well-flowered! What do you grow it in and how wet/dry do you keep it? I suspect this is Trpla. Charles x crispa (syn.ramonensis), which is now Trpla.Renee. Porter would have gotten his from the same local source I did. I am not aware anyone has done Charlotte x ramonensis, including the folks who made the above hybrid.

Back