Three reliable bloomers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are some of my most reliable bloomers. The Conestoga (concolor x philippinense) has good color, but the flower spike is a little weak. The liemianum is a good grower, but the dorsal could have a cleaner halo. The venustum was the best out of a flask of 50% Foxcatcher sibs. It has been open for about a week and is pretty flat right now, but in another week or so the tips of those petals will be back at about 15 degrees. All three are less than perfect, but they are such good growers and reliable bloomers that they will always have a place in the greenhouse. Also, sorry for the quality of the photo for the last two. It was a gloomy day in the greenhouse. MIke

I like them all!
Nothing beats reliable bloomers in my book given that the flowers are not ugly, and all these are very good to my eyes.

The first one has such nice colors!!
The white edge on the dorsal on that liemianum is about the widest I've seen!
I like some frills on the petals of venustum flower. They look more natural and appealing to my taste.

Nice, thanks for sharing. I never had any luck with Paph Conestoga, (sorry Dot). If you ever divide it or know where to get the same clone let me know...

The Conestoga is interesting - I didn't know, that such a hybrid existed.

I am with Happypaphy in regard to the two others!
I didn't really get your own comment on the dorsal of the liemianum? Maybe my eye sight is failing me - but I find that dorsal great...and think Happy right regarding the very broad white edge...is your own complaint about the gradation between the white rim and the central coloured part?
What do they say: it's all in the eye of the beholder! To me that feature just make your flower look natural; not the result of infinite line breeding - and charming!

Kind regards,
Jens

Regarding the liemianum, it probably is in the eye of the beholder, but I find the ones with nice white, clearly defined halos to be the most attractive. That said, this one is a strong grower, so I will probably keep it as long as I have the space. Mike

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
We all have different tastes and preferences. :)

Liemianum (I have tried two) was painfully slow for me, although once it bloomed, it lasted for well over one year on the same spike.

Where did you get yours?

Cochlopetalums in general seem very slow for me.
I have also tried chamberlainianum and others. All very frustrating.

I bought the liemianum several years ago from ebay seller Icepengyne. I believe he got his stock from a grower in Hawaii. Sad to say he died some time ago. I have recently purchased one from Sam, hoping to get a better dorsal, but it will not bloom for a few years. What is interesting with these two liemianums is that one has pronounced markings on the leaves, but I'm pretty sure that both are authentic. Mike

What is interesting with these two liemianums is that one has pronounced markings on the leaves, but I'm pretty sure that both are authentic. Mike

I have a pair of plain green leaved liemianums and recently bought one with markedly spotted leaves, that I haven't seen in flower yet - but bought from a pretty reliable source, I hope (i.e. the chairman of the board of the Danish Orchid Society :D).

I remember an earlier thread on this question - and link to it below. It seems to harbour in it, yet another battle between taxonomic gatherers and spreader: is the plant a variety/form of liemianum or is it an independent/separate species within cochlopetalum (P. dodyanum)?

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44291

Concerning the growth pattern/the time cochlopetalums take to mature I have the same feeling as both of you - they take their time, but are worth the while with up to 12-18 months of flowering. I have both a P. victoria-regina (syn. chamberlainianum) and a P. victoria-mariae, that previously have bloomed 1½ year. I now have to mobilize quite some patience, before we will be at the next go - hopefully before I go into retirement! ;)

Kind regards,
Jens

Growing out Venustrems from flask is an achievement all in itself, very nice bunch of bloomers, I really like your conestoga

I bought quite a few nice plants from ICepengyne also. It is sad that he passed. He bought plants from Quintal Farm in Hawaii. All the tags said QF.

Regarding the leaves, I believe this liemianum comes in either plain and mottled leaves.

Sam has one type of blooming size available and a different breeding available for flask. I kind of want to try the flask hoping that one or two might turn out to be vigorous growers, but then, I still haven't gotten over how slow my last two plants were. lol

I bought the liemianum several years ago from ebay seller Icepengyne. I believe he got his stock from a grower in Hawaii. Sad to say he died some time ago. I have recently purchased one from Sam, hoping to get a better dorsal, but it will not bloom for a few years. What is interesting with these two liemianums is that one has pronounced markings on the leaves, but I'm pretty sure that both are authentic. Mike

Back