Taipei Scarlet O’Hara

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Daniel2

This plant was imported from Germany several years ago. It’s not a big deal to bloom one in cooler climate countries, but it’s really something to see a flower here in Taipei now with an average high temperature to 36-37°C in recent days. The size and shape of the plant are quite similar to a besseae, but obviously it is much more resistant to summer heat we have to ENJOY. I love the round shape, the deep red color and smooth petals.

Attachments

• IMG_2552.JPG
    IMG_2552.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2559.JPG
    IMG_2559.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2584.JPG
    IMG_2584.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 47
Very lovely! We don't see that one in flower very frequently. Nice job.

Wow! 2 posts in 6 months, you are the ultimate lurker! :poke:

Yay besseae hybrids! Good job getting it to flower. Take it to your local show, you should get an award.

I'm a bit curious. Scarlet O'Hara is besseae by Jason Fischer, which are usualy dark red. This one looks very pinkish to me. Is this the true colour? :confused:

The color is defined by the temperatures it endures while the flower is maturing. Often flowers on the same inflorescence will appear different colors when temperatures are hotter or cooler over a few weeks. The best reds show up in cool temperatures, my best flowers are in the winter when it gets down to 50-55F. Warm temperatures bleach out the red showing more pink or orangy shades depending on the parents.

The color is defined by the temperatures it endures while the flower is maturing. Often flowers on the same inflorescence will appear different colors when temperatures are hotter or cooler over a few weeks. The best reds show up in cool temperatures, my best flowers are in the winter when it gets down to 50-55F. Warm temperatures bleach out the red showing more pink or orangy shades depending on the parents.

I agree completely with your comments. I'm just wondering if the white background could also play a role. :)

I agree completely with your comments. I'm just wondering if the white background could also play a role. :)

Perhaps.....it just magnifies the washed out color. Some plants of Phrag Jason Fischer show dark purplish shades on the margins, so maybe it's just a gradation of how the color manifests according to temperature.

Very nice flower. Great colour and shape. You also have great depth of field in the photos. Nicely done.

Perhaps.....it just magnifies the washed out color. Some plants of Phrag Jason Fischer show dark purplish shades on the margins, so maybe it's just a gradation of how the color manifests according to temperature.

I don't think the white background makes a difference after all, I've just seen one posted by Heather on a white background on 3-16-2007 and it's very red. There is also another one in Orchidwiz with similar colour (the clone Cascade) with an AM of 80. I think the one posted here has better colour and form. :clap:

I love the color of this one. I cannot imagine that it would be improved by a deeper red. This is perfect. I agree with Eric -- take it to judging.

By the way, welcome to Slippertalk!

Thanks all for your comments. The color is really that brilliant and “erythematous”. Under the influence of 7/8 besseae blood, the color is more on the besseae side than a Jason Fischer. Maybe that’s why it is called SCARLET. Because of the summer temperature and poor quality of flowers, there is no orchid show anywhere in Taiwan now. I hope it will bloom next time in spring or autumn, there should be a lot of shows, competitions and fairs to go.

Latest posts

Back