Survey of S/H Growers - Repotting

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you repot your plants in S/H?

• Once a year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm not sure if this application would be useable or advantageous in a nursery setting, but we prevent and control algae in our 4,000 gal. koi pond with an external uv light. The water flows through the light and it kills off most of the algae leaving us with crystal clear water. I wonder if intalling a uv light in your water line would keep your water algae free.

I've never had a bad outbreak of algae....I'm not surprised that the barley had no effect within a weeks worth of time. It has never been a quick fix, just preventative medicine over prolonged use.

Park Bear said:
I've never had a bad outbreak of algae....I'm not surprised that the barley had no effect within a weeks worth of time. It has never been a quick fix, just preventative medicine over prolonged use.

Maybe the dosage was just to low. I did not expect a quick fix but I was hoping it would inhibit the growth of new algae from the start, which it did not do. I'm giving it another try with a stronger dosage.

I'm sure my dosage is all over the place....my 55 gallon drum is very dark with tannins from the straw. Maybe it is beer now!

Candace said:
I'm not sure if this application would be useable or advantageous in a nursery setting, but we prevent and control algae in our 4,000 gal. koi pond with an external uv light. The water flows through the light and it kills off most of the algae leaving us with crystal clear water. I wonder if intalling a uv light in your water line would keep your water algae free.

My system does not recirculate through pipes so there is no way to use UV. I'm not sure UV could keep up with algae control in a nursery setting where nitrogen levels are high, as opposed to an aquarium or pond where nitrogen levels are low. But it might work and is a good suggestion.

Have you considered using some aquatic plants in the resevoir? A sort of Nitrogen scrubber? The aquatic plants use up the excess nitrogen thereby starving out the algae.

Darin

Darin said:
Have you considered using some aquatic plants in the resevoir? A sort of Nitrogen scrubber? The aquatic plants use up the excess nitrogen thereby starving out the algae.

Darin

I think that is a good theory. In practice though I have a friend that has an aquarium set up with TONS of plants and he still has an algae problem.

I think that what Bear is saying about his treatment is think sanderianum, not barbigerum, for the expected results!!!!:rollhappy:

Waterfall NYC indoor style

This is why " my waterfall or my pond" is so funny to me. :rollhappy:
eric006.jpg

Back