Survey of S/H Growers - Repotting

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you repot your plants in S/H?

• Once a year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
johnndc said:
Well, I wasn't thinking that it mattered for slippers in s/h vs. other roots, but then again, catt roots might be hardier :)

Well, when it comes to being too wet Catt roots may be even more sensitive to rot than slippers since the are usually epiphytic on trees and in Nature are hardly ever subjected to prolonged over wetting. Whereas most slippers grow on the ground are are subjected to some periods of supper wet root zones. (maybe?)

Do you have trouble with algae clogging the drainage holes like Heather mentioned? I don't consider your pots as having an excess of algae. The roots in your pots look great.

Sometimes things slow down, I can tell the water is running out slowly or not at all out of one hole, but then I just poke it with my finger and it runs again LOL I haven't had the nerve to repot this thing since it's going so well, but fear I may have to soon - the thing is, I used a V8 bottle, and it's not perfectly smooth, has lots of indentations, so I'm hoping that won't make it harder to remove - otherwise, V8 plastic bottles are GREAT as semi-hydro containers - I make the hole maybe 2 inches up, to give it a bit more water.

johnndc said:
Sometimes things slow down, I can tell the water is running out slowly or not at all out of one hole, but then I just poke it with my finger and it runs again LOL I haven't had the nerve to repot this thing since it's going so well, but fear I may have to soon - the thing is, I used a V8 bottle, and it's not perfectly smooth, has lots of indentations, so I'm hoping that won't make it harder to remove - otherwise, V8 plastic bottles are GREAT as semi-hydro containers - I make the hole maybe 2 inches up, to give it a bit more water.

I bet your root ball does not slide right out! Just don't let a new growth hang over the side or it will really get stuck. But then V8 pots are cheap enough you can attack it with scissors. :rollhappy:

BTW another way you can tell when you need to repot is the container gets very hard, when you squeeze the sides there is no movement at all in the plastic. This usually means it is chock full o' roots.

Possibly I am over doing it a bit but I want to play safe.

I use clean media and always wash and then boil the old media just to be safe. I repot only when they outgrow the pot, or a lot of algea is growing and blocking the holes, which isn't very often. I think I have only had to repot because of algae 4 or 5 times. If some of the balls stick to the roots I don't remove them because I don't want to risk damage to the roots.

I just combine all used media in a bucket, both PA and Hydroton. Maybe that isn't wise but it is too much work trying to keeping them separate, especially now that the new PA looks so much like Hydroton.

I always soak my media with KLN when I am going to repot.

I have more than 450 plants growing in my home using S/H under lights. I only have a few which are in either bark or CHC. At this time I have quite a number of phaphs which are becoming pot bound so I will need to do some repotting soon. My paphs especially love S/H

Grandma

I see a lot of discussion about algae. I have always used barley straw to control algae. I have used it in my pond in my pond with pretty good success. The only problem is that it does not work fast, but it you are patient it will work. I use it from day one on my ponds (especially early in spring) and I have used it for my s/h orchids and I don't ever have algae problems. Just steep some straw and water periodically with it. I don't do it all the time maybe once a month; a little more in the summer when they are outside.

Park Bear said:
I see a lot of discussion about algae. I have always used barley straw to control algae. I have used it in my pond in my pond with pretty good success. The only problem is that it does not work fast, but it you are patient it will work. I use it from day one on my ponds (especially early in spring) and I have used it for my s/h orchids and I don't ever have algae problems. Just steep some straw and water periodically with it. I don't do it all the time maybe once a month; a little more in the summer when they are outside.

That is interesting. How much straw do you put in what volume of water for your orchids? Does it completely eliminate the algae?

oops

I meant to say my PHRAGS really like S/H. My paphs do well also but my phrags grow like weeds in the stuff.

Grandma

gonewild said:
That is interesting. How much straw do you put in what volume of water for your orchids? Does it completely eliminate the algae?

It doesn't take much depending on how much you water. I keep a 55 galon drum full of water and I fill one of my wife's panty hose (i use one leg) full of straw. I run an air pump for circulation. If you already have a lot of algae it will take some time for it to go away. If you have bad algae in a pot, I would clean the algae and then use the straw treatment. If you have very bright lighting conditions I would water with the straw mixture more than I do.

I don't have hardly any algae in my pots, I think of it as preventive medicine not a cure.

I'm getting out of s/h all together. I've had some plants seem to thrive in it, but also had a hell of a lot more die. Plus, that new crap ray has..... grrrrrrrrrrr

Park Bear said:
I see a lot of discussion about algae. I have always used barley straw to control algae. I have used it in my pond in my pond with pretty good success.
Oh there you people go again, cracking me up! Tonight I'm going to by a camera so I can take and post a picture of my pond and my waterfall!:rollhappy:

For years people have been using barley straw to control algae in koi ponds and I never really paid any attention to whether it worked or not. After Park Bear said he used it on his plants I researched it a bit and found Tetra Pond sells Barley/Peat extract for pond algae control. So I bought a bottle and am trying it in recirculating tray water. The recommended dosage seems to weak to do anything but I'm trying it.

Keep us posted on how the barley straw juice works. It sounds like a natural product which would not harm the roots.

I'm anxious to hear how it works.

Grandma

I've never tried the Tetra stuff. I'd be interested in the results too.

Eric, I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I'm guessing a certain beverage. :confused:

Tony said:
His toilet, maybe? If that's the case I don't want to see the "waterfall"... :rollhappy:
People where are your minds? I bought the camera but, just like the phone camera, the network wont let me install the software. I have another non-network computer at my desk which I'll set up so I can download pic's onto a disc. Then I'll show you my waterfall. Give me a day or two to get another monitor. :)

Grandma M said:
Keep us posted on how the barley straw juice works. It sounds like a natural product which would not harm the roots.

I'm anxious to hear how it works.

Grandma

Barley straw concentrate update.....

After treating with the barley straw extract about one week ago the algae in the trays grew as normal. I treated the water with the recommended dosage of 1ml/gal. That seemed to me to be a pretty weak dosage but I tried it. It had no effect on stopping the algae at that dosage.

Today I'm treating with bleach and will follow up with a Barley treatment at 10x the recommended dosage to see if that will keep the algae from growing back.

Are you sure the algae is a problem? If it's blocking up the whole pot, then sure, address it. But if it's just "unsightly," personally I wouldn't add bleach - my plants seem to like the algae (again, provided it's not overwhelming).

johnndc said:
Are you sure the algae is a problem? If it's blocking up the whole pot, then sure, address it. But if it's just "unsightly," personally I wouldn't add bleach - my plants seem to like the algae (again, provided it's not overwhelming).

Oh no... I'm not adding bleach to water the plants are in, never do that!
Our trays have recirculating water around and under the pots. The trays are clear Plexiglas and the algae is "unsightly", we like it clear, like having a clean aquarium. The algae is not a problem for the plants or care process.

Algae in the pots and growing media is not a problem for us and I agree with you it may be good for the plants.

However, if the Barley straw concentrate will control the algae in our trays it may be a good tool for those growers who want to control algae in their s/h pots.

Just seeing what we can learn. :drool:
So far I see I blew $16 on a bottle of hay water. :mad:
But if it works on the next dosage. :clap:

Back