Strange twisted leaves and ridges on Paph. Hung Sheng Bay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my collection, those leaves would be showing a shortage of Calcium at the leaves. Calcium is needed every day by the plant. It does not move from the old leaves to the new leaves.
Now you need to discover the reason that calcium is lacking at the leaves. It could be bad roots. It could be some other mineral is blocking the uptake of calcium. Perhaps you are using RO water with no calcium.
In my greenhouse I was using water that had been softened with potassium chloride. The excess of potassium, filled up all the receptors for calcium and blocked the calcium from being passed up to the leaves.
You can treat with a cal mag supplement or you can make your own with Plaster of Paris (calcium sulfate) and Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). use one tsp. each per gallon.
https://staugorchidsociety.org/ has a good page on mineral nutrition.
Thank you for the reply. I just received the plant in a shipment from a grower in Hawaii so I'm not sure what it was being fed. I will follow the recommendations

Latest posts

Back