Sterilizing bark/chc

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can an oven do 180F? That seems kind of low. :confused:

I don't know, I don't cook. :clap:

180 degrees for 30 minutes is what we used to do when we steam sterilized seedling flower beds. That temperature and time is all it takes to kill pathogens. I think USDA requires 140 degrees for 24 hours to heat sterlize shipments of lumber to kill pests.

If you use higher heat and longer times you may start to destroy organic matter which may result in the media not lasting as long.

Easiest way to disinfect, not knowing whether the pathogen is fungal or bacteria, I always use chlorine (14%) and add 50ml into 10litre of water. Soak for 1 day. You can use it immediately for large plant but for seedlings you can take it out of the soak and let dry for a couple of days. Otherwise put tap water and soak for another hour to get rid of excessive chlorine.

chlorine would work, but fresh bark probably wouldn't have too many bad things. if it does, then it's likely old and you should incorporate it into your compost pile. chlorine and time will kill bad things, but i've had things react to tap water with low chlorine; heat is clean and nothing else needs to be done except maybe soak in water to rehydrate

Latest posts

Back