Sterilizing bark/chc

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
I have found some old (unused from 3-4 years ago) bark and chc in our storage room. Before using them, I kinda want to sterilize them somehow. Can I use the oven or microwave to do this? If so, how hot and how long? Thanks!

I would put them in a boiling pot over a flame for five minutes or so.

The bark that floats are good and the ones that are no good, fall to the bottom.

Why not just add Physan to the soaking water?

I don't think Physan is very effictive that way:

Quaternary ammonium chloride salts (Green-Shield®, Physan 20® and Triathlon®). Q-salt products, commonly used by growers are quite stable and work well when used according to label instructions. Q-salts are labeled for fungal, bacterial and viral plant pathogens, and algae. They can be applied to floors, walls, benches, tools, pots and flats as disinfectants. Physan 20® is also labeled for use on seeds, cut flowers and plants. Carefully read and follow label instructions. Recommendations may vary according to the intended use of the product. For example, the Green-Shield® label recommends that objects to be sanitized should be soaked for 10 minutes, and walkways for an hour or more. Instructions recommend that surfaces be air-dried after treatment except for cutting tools. The label recommends soaking cutting tools for 10 minutes before use, then using the wet tool on plants. One way to do this is by having two cutting tools, one pair to use while the other is soaking.

Q-salts are not protectants. They may eradicate certain pathogens, but will have little residual activity. Contact with any type of organic matter will inactivate them. Therefore, pre-clean objects to dislodge organic matter prior to application. Because it is difficult to tell when they become inactive, prepare fresh solutions frequently (twice a day if in constant use). The products tend to foam a bit when they are active. When foaming stops, it is a sign they are no longer effective. No rinsing with water is needed.

http://www.umass.edu/umext/floriculture/fact_sheets/greenhouse_management/ghsanitz.html

I don't see why soaking would not be effective. As was stated, it is a contact disinfectant, and if absorbed by the bark/CHC chips, it seems to me that pathogens it comes in contact with will be taken care of.

As to heating, just how hot can you take bark before it starts to burn? I don't think that 200°F is going to necessarily kill all pathogens.

I don't see why soaking would not be effective. As was stated, it is a contact disinfectant, and if absorbed by the bark/CHC chips, it seems to me that pathogens it comes in contact with will be taken care of.

As to heating, just how hot can you take bark before it starts to burn? I don't think that 200°F is going to necessarily kill all pathogens.

Ray, how much physan would u add to the water? Thanks!

why even sterilize it? are you potting up seedlings out of flask that are going into a sterile environment? can pathogens really build up on dry media in storage? Maybe I'm just lazy but I would just soak and use if I were repotting, no use sterilizing media that will just get reinoculated whenever you water. am I crazy here, I was just wondering if the extra sterilization step is worth the effort>

Latest posts

Back