species..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell me where you are. i'll come and snatch all your paphs with chopper!! LOL Great plants and flower. U are lucky to live in Hawaii and able to grown n bloom any plant. =)

perhaps Lance or Olaf could help on this clarification. They are very distinct species but there most have been some crossing of the two at some point somewhere as i have seen many things labeled as exuls that looked intermediate of the two. As I understand it P. insigne typically has larger flowers and grows cooler than P. exul. Being from the hot, bright lowlands of thailand, P. exul has adapted its morphological habit to have slightly more narrow, thicker and upright-ish leaves. P. insigne has much floppier leaves in comparison, although not generally floppy. Also I have noticed that P. exul has a much more cupped stance of the petals and a seemingly large synsepal.

I don't think I've seen any of these hybrids that you ellude too yet, but the differnces you mention are accurate. I would say that exul leaves can vary somewhat based on culture. I grow mine hot and bright, and its a regular bloomer. Before I got on my magnesium kick, the leaves where short, spikey and light green, with spikes extending out past the leaves. With magnesium they are dark green, about 20% longer, and erect, but not as spikey as those in-situ pics that paphioboy posted. This year the spikes are not presenting blooms above the leaves (as in previous years) but just short of the length of the leaves. Insigne definitely has soft floppy leaves and a bigger flatter flower. It will cook in the ideal spot for exul. The flower also doesn't have the big synsepal of exul either (as you mentioned). This years exul flowers are a bit different for me too in that the synsepal has reflexed back so that it's partially curled around the ovary of the flower.

What is the parentage of your stonei? It kind of reminds me of one of mine which is "The Best X Harlan". Big flower, but kind of drab pouch.

not sure Rick, Ill check when i remember to. Ive got a ton from different parents and cant remember. One of my crosses definitely had 'Harlan' on one side though...

Back