species..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Reaction score
Here some Paph. sanderianum. the one on the right is the same that bloomed 6 months ago, flowers are not open completely yet, however i got 5 on one inflorescence this time. with 2 spikes within 6 months this is turning out to be an excellent plant. the one on the left is a sibling, first bloom, with four flowers, also not open fully yet..
IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

Here, a lesser seen species, Paph. urbanianum
IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

Here a first bloom of an excellent species, Paph. stonei. the pouch color leaves a little to be desired and the sepals are a little pointy on the terminal ends but overall im pleased with it... one of my absolute favorite species
IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

And this is the true form of the Thai species, Paph. exul

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

Paph. glaucophyllum 'chunky' this is a first bloom seedling from what should be a very high quality sib cross

IMG_2184.jpg

Pete the sandies are killers, five flowers one ! What's up with the pouch on the urbanianum? The stonei is super cool. It's a favorite of mine as well. Now I just need to bloom one of the 5! Love that glauco too. Why do you say "true form" of exul? Have you seen impostors?

I dont think sanderianum "grows like a weed" anywhere. they are slow growing, sensitive plants that require lots of patience and attention. as far as the stonei leaf colors being darker.. i have plenty stonei, leaves are all fairly similar being relatively narrow and medium-ish green. they most certainly all need multiple growths to bloom.

Rick- in my experience there is a lot of "exul" out there that are not quite the real thing or have some insigne in them. you can really tell by the plant habit. true exul have stiffer, longer, narrower, more thickened and partially upright leaves (due to the environmental conditions where they occur)

Nice pictures and nice flowers.

I really like the pattern on the staminoide shield of the urbanianum.

Pete, what is the difference between what is usually seen as exul and what you are showing here? How can we tell the difference when we are looking at plants in our collections?

Darin

perhaps Lance or Olaf could help on this clarification. They are very distinct species but there most have been some crossing of the two at some point somewhere as i have seen many things labeled as exuls that looked intermediate of the two. As I understand it P. insigne typically has larger flowers and grows cooler than P. exul. Being from the hot, bright lowlands of thailand, P. exul has adapted its morphological habit to have slightly more narrow, thicker and upright-ish leaves. P. insigne has much floppier leaves in comparison, although not generally floppy. Also I have noticed that P. exul has a much more cupped stance of the petals and a seemingly large synsepal.

Latest posts

Back