sophronitella violacea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was again surprised to see that my sophronitella violacea was in bud. I hadn't watered things in a few days and saw the purple tips sticking out so gave it a quick soak in some fertilizer water. flower opened up nicely, but it has a damaged dorsal sepal. does anyone know if s. violacea can have consecutive flowers on a spike, or are they single only?

sviolacea110a.JPG

whole plant

sviolacea110c.JPG

side view

sviolacea110b.JPG

closeup (sepal is damaged a little)

I've always liked s. violacea but hadn't had much luck before. Jim Rice took one back that I had purchased (I gave it back so that it wouldn't die), and set it amidst the roots of a big schomburgkia they had in the 'warm' house. It lived and thrived there for years. I think it likes to get moist but then dry (it's in hard tree fern and seems to like being able to dry out between waterings) and have decent humidity/air movement rather than wet all the time. the humidity in amongst all of those roots was just about perfect for it

Wonderful! Is it true the flowers are only an inch across? Second question: should you send me pollen to put on my Sophronitis coccinea now in bloom (pics to be posted tomorrow) - or the other way around - or both ways? Might be a nice cross and still a mini. I don't see a record of that cross being made.

are sophronitella and sophronitis compatible? I could send some pollen. yes, the flowers are only about an inch across if that

oh, man... I just read on wikipedia that someone put sophronitella into isabelia along with neolauchea pulchella, so now there are three isabelias. If I think of that plant as an isabelia, it's history! (i've never met an isabelia I couldn't kill...)

was reading miranda's website where they point out that sophronitellas are found over a very wide area, and that there is very little color difference between the plants other than a few rare all white ones

Last edited:
are sophronitella and sophronitis compatible? I could send some pollen. yes, the flowers are only about an inch across if that

oh, man... I just read on wikipedia that someone put sophronitella into isabelia along with neolauchea pulchella, so now there are three isabelias. If I think of that plant as an isabelia, it's history! (i've never met an isabelia I couldn't kill...)

Yes, I think they are compatible. I've not grown this species, but I have the other two Isabelias. The don't like wet feet that is for sure. Lots of air movement and drying between waterings or they're toast real quick.

Latest posts

Back