Some seedlings and flasks...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely set up!

How do you do your flasking? You mentioned doing it in the kitchen, is that right? Could you post any pictures of the apparatus you use?

I'm very keen to get into doing my own flasks, and seeing how you do it would be very valuable.

Lovely set up!

How do you do your flasking? You mentioned doing it in the kitchen, is that right? Could you post any pictures of the apparatus you use?

I'm very keen to get into doing my own flasks, and seeing how you do it would be very valuable.

Hi Paul...
Yes, the work is made in the kitchen, what I mean is that I use the sterile air that surrounds the flame of the stove to sow the seeds or, in any case, transport small plants from a flask to another. To sterilize all the material ( flasks, media, spoons, etc) a pressure cooker is enough. Whenever possible I will take some pictures to show you something of the procedure.If we analyze, actually, all kitchens are basically a laboratory.

Last edited by a moderator:
This collection of photos is magnificent, Luis! Thank you so much for sharing them with us! Welcome to Slippertalk! We are very glad to have someone from Mexico here! I must come down there sometime and see the orchids!

Impressive, Luis! Do show us your kitchen laboratory in the process - we would all be much impressed, I think. I would never have thought it could be that simple to create a sterile enough environment without a lab setup!

This collection of photos is magnificent, Luis! Thank you so much for sharing them with us! Welcome to Slippertalk! We are very glad to have someone from Mexico here! I must come down there sometime and see the orchids!

Thanks Cris, Mexico has a good number of orchids, especially epiphytes, although there are some slippers, they're counted and there is only one of them in my collection. Welcome to Mexico. I love photography but I'm just trying to learn.

Impressive, Luis! Do show us your kitchen laboratory in the process - we would all be much impressed, I think. I would never have thought it could be that simple to create a sterile enough environment without a lab setup!

Chris, the area that remains sterile covers only about 20 cm around the flames. The kitchen must be kept very clean, one can use an ultraviolet lamp to kill many germs in the environment. I use sterile gown and gloves; there is one person who helps me to manipulate not sterile material . I'll show you, give me time please.

Latest posts

Back