Some Phals

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Belton

Reaction score
Playing with the new camera.
Golden Pride 'Riverside'
gpriverside_113012.jpg

Tying Shin Fly Eagle 'Cherry Bomb'
tsfe_112212a.jpg

Red Spotted Elephant 'Big Leaf Orchid'
rse_113012.jpg

John Ewing 'Pisgah' smells awesome
jepisgah_113012.jpg

This is a first bloom seedlings of a cross by Big Leaf Orchids called Pylo's Giant Luedde.
pgl_5_113012.jpg

I love to see these kinds of phals more instead of the common ones that have the shape of grocery store phals.

I love to see these kinds of phals more instead of the common ones that have the shape of grocery store phals.

Agree, i was never too in to Phals since they are the same carbon-copy, mericloned plants, but then Peter Lin presented to our OS on his lines of novelty Phal breeding, and i became a convert. there is some very interesting seed-grown stuff out there-- like these!

Agree, i was never too in to Phals since they are the same carbon-copy, mericloned plants, but then Peter Lin presented to our OS on his lines of novelty Phal breeding, and i became a convert. there is some very interesting seed-grown stuff out there-- like these!

You know, I used to feel the same about 'grocery store' Phals. But then during a spring MAOC/AOS show and meeting, where there were over 1400 plants entered for judging, I ended up on the 'White Phalaenopsis Team. It was the height of the white season, some 40 or more were in the category. Groan. But as one seriously tried to see the differences, I walked away from it with a true appreciation for what goes into creating the modern complex white Phal and the standard Phal with other colors. They are, like complex Paphs, the epitome of the breeders art. To get flat petals with no ridges or notches on the edge, wide enough dorsals for a round profile, high flower counts, and flowers all facing out, not up or down, these traits are all tricky and tough to get them all 'ideal'.

So when I look at a white phal now, I see and appreciate it a whole lot more than I used to. They truly are the 'top' of the breeder's art. And they are continuing to evolve.

Nice!
I'm with Leo & Justin, didn't have an appreciation for white phals until I ended up on a judging team as well, it was a wonderful learning experience!

What new kit do you have?
How did you get the lighting so good?
Hey, Sorry. Slipper Talk stopped sending me notices that I had replies.
My new camera is the Sony RX-100. There is a good review HERE which is actually kinda humorous to watch.

I got lucky with the light. I took these (xxcept for the Cherry Bomb) in sunlight which in the past I've never been able to take pics in.

Real nice Ben. Love the colour.

I agree with you Leo. Anyone who is not impressed with white Phals such as this is hard to please. I'd suggest they are in the group who don't grow Paph hybrids either. :poke:

http://www.gdorchid.com/ReadNews.asp?NewsId=630

It is the harlequin Phals that impress me the most. They have a pretty unique look, not just amongst Phals but amongst all orchids.

Latest posts

Back