Phal Pylo's Sweet Purple

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Phal Pylo's Sweet Purple
(pulchra 'Orchidglade' X Samera 'Pink Diamond')

Parents - pollinated Aug 19, 2008. Flask recevied from orchid lab on September 9, 2010
F10-25.JPG

Note Phal pulchra 'Orchidglade' was purchased as Phal speciosa 'Orchidglade' SM/SFOS

First bloom seedling Aug 19, 2012
F10-25_20120820a.JPG

This opened yesterday. I made this to have shorter spike and better flower form. Also Phal pulchra is easy to grow - so the hybrid will take on the vigor of Phal pulchra and produce frequent keiki.

Since this is a first bloom on a small plant in 2.25 inch pot, it is too early to say if I met my goals with this hybrid. I still have to grow this plant better and see how many flowers it can produce next season. It's exciting nonetheless to flower your own hybrid.

what I like (desirable attributes):
fragrance, seedling vigor, bright texture, better form than species parent (full segments- i.e. rounder sepals and petals)

what I don't like:
the wide opening of lower sepals is not desirable. big gap between the sepals from Phal pulchra.

Compare to Phal pulchra 'Orchidglade'
F10-25_20120820b.JPG

Compare to Phal pulchra 'Orchidglade'
F10-25_20120820c.JPG

Compare to Phal Dragon Tree Eagle - digital camera (in my case iphone 4S) has difficult time capture the dark purple color. So I put this flower next to a gold yellow-green flower to get a more accurate color for my record. I may or may not want to pair these two together.
F10-25_20120820d.JPG

Sometimes I hate monitors. The lovely flower looks hot
pink on my monitor, dangit. I hear that you don't like the
gap between the lower petals, but I like it. The perfectly
round mania of recent years seems like over-doing it just
a bit. I like the "species" look.

Latest posts

Back