Some large paph rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone. Understand that everyone has different growing environment and setup. I'm still learning paphs myself.

What works well for me is getting large strong seedlings from good sources like Hilo Orchids and Mainshow Orchids.

I use RO or rainwater. I use MSU fertilizer, but I use it infrequently (every 4th watering). To avoid over water or potting media staying too wet (I mix orchidata bark, sponge rock, charcoal) - I use a pot that is just large enough for the root mass. What works for me is we get good amount of sunlight and greenhouse is relatively humid - so plants don't get too stressed out from infrequent watering. In my experience, if potting mix is always wet, plants are less likely to grow new roots.

For recently potted plants, I don't water them as often to encourage new root growth. Since I'm relatively new to grow paphs, my first step is to keep these alive. Roots are always good. Then I worry about flower quality and quantity down the road.

c2a381.jpg[/img]

I was growing them like you - a course mix and a bit dryer. I was getting great root systems but I couldn't get the large growths and big clumps that you are getting. So I have recently gone the other way and keeping them a bit wetter.

Maybe your temperature may be important. Do you grow these with your Phal's? That is you are growing them at very warm temperatures?

Latest posts

Back