Paph. rothchildianum "Borneo" FCC/AOS X self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom-DE

Reaction score
Here are some quick photos of my compact rothchildianum. LS is about 22 inches(compact in my book). Flower NS is ~9 inches. Not the biggest flower for current standard but I can't keep any of those modern breeds with 50 inches LS--(yes, I had a couple of those monsters before).
**It is not a first-time bloomer(it just got healthy enough to bloom again).
Just in case some may ask-- The bigger plant next to the roth is St. Swithin, which just finished flowering in July with four spikes(good flowering but no time/mood to take photos)

Attachments

• DSCN9427.JPG
    DSCN9427.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • DSCN9429.JPG
    DSCN9429.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN9430.JPG
    DSCN9430.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN9428.JPG
    DSCN9428.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I saw several ‘compactum’ at Tokyo Orchid Nursery. The leaves were about 12 inch total span tip to tip but max 3 skinny flowers. Not impressive like the 5 flowered airplane wings with upturned end tips were.

These are not awarded here.

I saw several ‘compactum’ at Tokyo Orchid Nursery. The leaves were about 12 inch total span tip to tip but max 3 skinny flowers. Not impressive like the 5 flowered airplane wings with upturned end tips were.

These are not awarded here.
Never seen those super compact ones with 12-inch LS. (Now, I don't go to shows and I hardly have a collection...) I am sure they are choice plants for those who can't have the monster roths.
Earlier, I was asking about the measurements of the "Borneo" FCC/AOS, and I would like to compare them with its selfing offspring. I think the original awarded "Borneo" clone should carry 4-5 flowers...Mine (a selfing)carried 3 flowers per spike the last two blooms and it should increase the flower count if the plant is stronger.
*The flowers may look skinny in the photos due to the shooting angle. They are smaller compared to the modern roths but not too skinny.

Last edited:
Borneo stats:

NS 28.5 cm
DS 5 cm width x 7.5 cm height
P 1.4 cm width x 14.9 cm length
Syn 4.5 x 7 cm
Pouch 2.5 x 6 cm

Max was 7 flowers on two inflorescences.

Converting to inches is your job now lol.

Borneo stats:

NS 28.5 cm
DS 5 cm width x 7.5 cm height
P 1.4 cm width x 14.9 cm length
Syn 4.5 x 7 cm
Pouch 2.5 x 6 cm

Max was 7 flowers on two inflorescences.

Converting to inches is your job now lol.
Thank you. My current one is far from those measurements, especially the NS. That is okay, I still like its flowers with the "stretching/horizontal" petals.

Var. very nice!

Tom, if my memory doesn't elude me, 'Borneo' is a jungle collected clone, right? In which case I'll have to eat a slice of humble pie, because of my former cheeky remark about horizontal petals and naturally occuring Roths!

Var. very nice!

Tom, if my memory doesn't elude me, 'Borneo' is a jungle collected clone, right? In which case I'll have to eat a slice of humble pie, because of my former cheeky remark about horizontal petals and naturally occuring Roths!
I kind of remember the original "Borneo" clone is wild-collected. Someone else may correct me if I am wrong.
Sorry, I didn't take photos of my St. Swithin for you...I remember you and GuRu wanted to see the photos of its flowers that I have mentioned about few times here...well at least you can see the plant photo this time.

Thank you, Justin. I have no doubt about the tag. I don't know why Leslie mentioned about compactum, which I know nothing about it...don't mind that, it is rooster talking😅

Latest posts

Back