some amateur paintings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
Here are some of my latest hobby works.
DSCN1624.jpg

Sophronitis coccinea
watercolor and pastel

DSCN1658.jpg

Phalaenopsis schilleriana
watercolor and pastel

DSCN0244.jpg

Moccasin Flowers
watercolor and oil pastel on canvas

The Moccasin Flowers (Cypripedium acuale) was actually was started at the beginning of the year but I didn't know what to do with it so I put it away. I'm glad I finished it now with oil pastel as the texture is nice (otherwise it would have been done in acrylic).

I have a phrag besseae started but I haven't found the time to finish yet. Maybe this Chirstmas break

I think possibly my paintings look over saturated sometimes. Perhaps I should try something more light, like a botantical too next year

What do you mean amateur???? What is the difference with professional??? I like them all...!!! Thanks for sharing!!!:D

newest paintings

To show how I have changed! all of the below are watercolors on paper this year. Much improved I think. (The others I posted in 2008)

Cattleya lueddemanniana botanical (end of 2009)
DSCN5351.jpg

Laelia tenebrosa botanical (I believe this has been reclassfied as Cattleya tenebrosa)
DSCN7283.jpg

And recently finished. A portrait of my own Paphiopedilum haynaldianum, My favorite on so far.
DSCN8653.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments :) If any other artists out there have advice for me that would be awesome!

I have one more to share. It is Cypripedium formosanum. I love both the leaves and the blooms of this plant. I used one of Tom's photos of this season for reference. http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15981
DSCN8720.jpg

I don't usually paint white blooms, so it didn't turn out how would have imagined/wanted it to be. But it is a decent painting. Next time I'd do better I hope.
I do see a few things that I could correct, but not now. I need to put it away for a while.

These latest ones really do look professional! Really impressive. Have you thought about selling any of them?
I only sold one painting to of a harlequin phal this summer, but I haven't seriously considered it as a profession. It is a hobby though:)

Latest posts

Back