Cypripedium 2012 @ Riedisheim

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

Ok, at least out of 8 plants, 5 have survived and started to grow... The other three are still alive, and I hope they will start growing soon... :)

Very happy as this is my first try with this group... And I was affraid how they would do this first winter. I was planning to plant them in te garden, but had some troubbles with the work they were doing outside, and the gardener finished working end of November last year (already had frost those days). I received the plants in October, so I decided to keep them in pots in the basement of the house (a small room which has an opening to the outside, so the temps were always around 4C)

The plants in the large pots are:

Gisela
Ulla Silkens
Emil
Hank Small - two growth above ground
Ursel - two growth above ground
Gisela 'Pastel' - just starting to show a growth

The two smaller black pots joined the crew later on, and I was told not to repot them (both have started to grow this season):

Oliver
Sebastian

Cypripedium boxes by kavanaru, on Flickr

Cyp. Hank Small by kavanaru, on Flickr

Cyp. Ursel by kavanaru, on Flickr

Cyp. Sebastian by kavanaru, on Flickr

Cyp. Oliver by kavanaru, on Flickr

All of them will be planted on the ground for the next season... ;)

Big crates you planted them in, any reason for it?

Looking forward to seeing them bloom :)

Big crates you planted them in, any reason for it?

Looking forward to seeing them bloom :)

Well, since I had no clue about how to grow them in containers I asked for advice... Among the advice received was he following article http://culturesheet.org/_media/users:nanoj:nanoj_16_1:martin_4-11.pdf which was highly recommended... So, I decided to follow it... :D. On the other hand, these plants had a lot of roots, and they have been spread and covered 50% of the surface of the containers. OK, not completely covered, but when you join the tips of the roots with an imaginary line, you have about half of the surface enclosed.

By the way where did you get oliver

Is it the cross of Lothar Pinkepank X calceolus

I only have Oli LP X Kentucky

By the way where did you get oliver

Is it the cross of Lothar Pinkepank X calceolus

I only have Oli LP X Kentucky

Yeap, that's it :D it is a present from a friend who bought at a show in Switzerland...

Very Nice!! I checked mine & a few more are also poking their heads up!! I put a cover on them the past few nights do to the temps below freezing.. Tonight they are calling for some snow 1-3 inches!!! :(

At us is cold again too, hope it goeas not to deep agaian.

I am happy that I let stay my formosanum in the cooler.

At us is cold again too, hope it goeas not to deep agaian.

I am happy that I let stay my formosanum in the cooler.

hey,

dont make so much trouble..............
do it the "hakone style" :rollhappy:

they are so cheap,
just buy 6-shoots plants
from netherlands nurseries for 25 euros / 30 USD on ebay.

and throw it away ......in autumn.....................

20091227-090612-133.gif

OK, OK , just kidding.
cheers

I did it and baught such a cheap one yesterday, 8 noses and one which tried to come out on the bottem, at least 2 will flower soon.

Will post a picture later, oh well my seedlings I paied 3€ 4 years ago and still have 1 or 2 left to wait, 2 bigger one should flower this year, they are in the soil.

§ years agao I baught a flsk of a late growing one a vendor told me, last year one was left outside, it shows up really late, so I hope it will come again this year.....

Nice progress on the Cyps Ramon.

I'm trying to get hold of some "Gardenorchid" ( produced by Antura )cypripediums as well. Allthough they are produced in the Netherlands they are easier to find in Germany then in the Netherlands itself. Going to do some looking around in the coming days.

You people have no idea how lucky you are. :(

I will not sing victory until they have survived at least 2 years and look like well stablished plants... This winter was not cold enough and the summer promises to be very hot... Let's see...

Latest posts

Back